By MochiMomoChan - 17/09/2009 09:32 - United States

Today, I found out I'm on wage garnishment because my mother, who took out a student loan for me back in '05, didn't pay off the $2015 owed when she said she would. I got screwed over financially because of her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 870
You deserved it 9 377

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While she did dick you over by not doing what she said she would, you shouldn't be relying on your mother to take out student loans for you anyway. If you're old enough to go to college then you're old enough to fill out the paperwork for a loan.

So you're moaning because your mum didn't pay of YOUR debt? Boo Hoo.

Comments

its your student loan you dumb **** you used it to go to school not her.... it should have been you paying it off not your mother grow the **** up and take care of your responsibilities

mo_the_owl 0

Please, cry somewhere else. If it weren't for her risking her credit you wouldn't have gone to school. You're coming out ahead because I'm assuming you're wages are higher with a degree so really you're profiting on your investment. jesus.

sportsnut 0

wait wait wait, you mean that she paid for your schooling and you didn't have to? Its called responsibility and you would have gotten the notices upon graduation (or leaving school) at that point. AKA, you knew, you just didnt do anything so YDI

benflick 0

Pay your own ******* college, or don't complain. If I was your mom, I would garnish your wages until I was payed back in full. That's life, asshole. And I'm a 16 year old guy, by the way.

YDI for being a lazy bum. Learn to take care of yourself.

Your an ungrateful little brat. Pay it off and stop think your entitled to everything in life.

There's two things going on here: 1) Did OP's mom cosign on the loan? If she cosigned, then there was equal responsibility, as stated in the Truth In Lending Disclosure. If that's the case, than they are both having wages garnished. 2) They can't just suddenly start garnishing wages. Nobody can. OP would have had to receive a notice (i.e. "be served") for the lawsuit. Upon receiving that notice, he should have contacted the loan company to determine if there was some sort of out-of-court agreement that could be reached. Point is, OP should have had some idea of what was going on with this loan. YDI.

YOUR loan that your MOM didn't pay back? You got screwed, but hey, that's what happens when you take out a loan. Learn this lesson now, while you're still young.

nyprtweety 0

Hey, IDIOT!!! If your wages are being garnished, it's because the loan was under your name! It is your responsibility to know what is on your credit report. I am so sick of students blaming other people for their loans going into default! Take responsibility for your own financial future and stop relying on "mommy" to do it for you! If the loan had been in her name then her wages would be getting garnished not yours! Man up and stop crying over your own stupidity!

nyprtweety 0

Hey, IDIOT!!! If your wages are being garnished, it's because the loan was under your name! It is your responsibility to know what is on your credit report. I am so sick of students blaming other people for their loans going into default! Take responsibility for your own financial future and stop relying on "mommy" to do it for you! If the loan had been in her name then her wages would be getting garnished not yours! Man up and stop crying over your own stupidity! And yes I am a financial aid advisor!