By MochiMomoChan - 17/09/2009 09:32 - United States

Today, I found out I'm on wage garnishment because my mother, who took out a student loan for me back in '05, didn't pay off the $2015 owed when she said she would. I got screwed over financially because of her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 870
You deserved it 9 377

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While she did dick you over by not doing what she said she would, you shouldn't be relying on your mother to take out student loans for you anyway. If you're old enough to go to college then you're old enough to fill out the paperwork for a loan.

So you're moaning because your mum didn't pay of YOUR debt? Boo Hoo.

Comments

does your mom dress you in the morning too?

Who's letting these shitty FMLs through? The guy in reddit who lost his dick to viagra, now that's an FML.

youthink_fml 0

Stupid spoiled children!! Most people pay back their student loans themselves. YOU got the education. YOU get a job and pay back the loan.

if you've had FOUR years out of school and can't afford to pay back your own student loan thats your own fault.

You guys are harsh. Feel free to disagree, but this is my opinion: Her mother SAID she would pay for it. Her mother made that choice. Unless badgered into it, she should honor that commitment. It's just like if you go out on a date with someone and they say, "I'll get this tab. Don't worry about it." You make sure they're ok with it and inform them you would do it yourself, but let them take it if they want. It would be really shitty if they then DIDN'T pay for it and said you were spoiled for not paying it yourself. Everyone chooses what they are willing to pay for their kids, and that is based partly on what they can afford. Some people choose to give their children everything they could ever want, just because that's the kind of parent they want to be. Others choose to make them learn responsibility and "the value of a dollar". The FML here isn't that she has to pay her own loan, it's that her mom said she would pay it, then didn't, leaving her in a heap of shit. All along, she could've been paying it off, had she been aware she needed to. OP's mom is horrible for just letting her daughter's finances be ruined when she could have easily said, "Look, I think you should pay this. It's your responsibility. The most I'll do is help you make your resume to find a job." But no, she instead just left her daughter hanging. That's wrong. What I'm saying is: You don't make a commitment you never planned to keep. /rant

Yeah, if someone says they'll pay for something... generally they should do it, unless you're in the mob and say "you'll pay for that!" in which case you probably don't want to pay for it.

I should try that. Lol. YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT. Is it working? Will you buy me things now?

That's all well and good but if you signed something in your name and it can have long lasting repercussions, it's in your best interest to follow up on that... We all make mistakes like this though. Serves as a good lesson.

What the hell? My comment just disappeared... @Intoxicunt: This. Whether you think the mom had an obligation to help OP out with college in the first place is beside the point. Once OP's mom said that she would pay for the loan, she had an obligation to follow through with it. And if for some reason she wasn't able to pay it off, she should have told the OP so back then. If you promise to do someone a favour, you can't just secretly not do it and then say, "Hey, it's a favour, I don't owe you anything," once they find out and have to deal with it on their own. Why don't people get that?

Exactly, 38. Although, other guy who replied, you're right too. I would probably follow up on it, myself. I guess the OP just trusted their mom and thought if you can't count on your mom, who can you count on? I think the OP's mom fails at life, and the OP is ****** for that reason, although they should have check up on it.

The OP should put the mother in a home as punishment.

Lol. I like the idea of kicking her with pointy toed slippers.

while I do feel for you, your mom did make an agreement with you to pay for it, it could be worse. I can't afford to gonto college and I make too much money to qualify for Canada student loans. (and I will continue to require a full time job no matter what, I luve on my own.) I no longer qualify the instant I make enough to pay my rent. let alone feed myself. like plexico said, I'm sure you can use your college education to pay for that debt. two grand isn't that much.

ydi, it's your debt. Too bad someone else didn't pay it for you.

when it comes to that, you should have paid it anyways to know it got done. so thats really your own fault.

well you really should've paid it back yourself-the loan was for you in the first place