By MochiMomoChan - 17/09/2009 09:32 - United States

Today, I found out I'm on wage garnishment because my mother, who took out a student loan for me back in '05, didn't pay off the $2015 owed when she said she would. I got screwed over financially because of her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 870
You deserved it 9 377

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While she did dick you over by not doing what she said she would, you shouldn't be relying on your mother to take out student loans for you anyway. If you're old enough to go to college then you're old enough to fill out the paperwork for a loan.

So you're moaning because your mum didn't pay of YOUR debt? Boo Hoo.

Comments

YDI for not reading the loan contract and realizing that your mom was a CO-SIGNER and YOU are ultimately responsible for your payments. Irresponsible, spoiled prick.

Get over yourself. You're an adult, it's time you started acting like one. Your mother was only the co-signer, so you are the one responsible for paying back the loan. It's time you started working two jobs and paying for your own school, just like everyone who doesn't have parents to take care of them has to.

underyourbreath 8

Are you serious? My RENT is more than your debt and I live in a tiny/shitty apartment. Besides, if you walk down the street and ask people for a dollar (which I have done in really tough times) you can get that money in no time! While I do invoke all of # 71's opinions and defenses, you should really have been on top of your finances. Too many college kids feel so entitled - like paying tens (sometimes hundreds) of thousands of dollars is just what parents do. Reality check: people aren't going to hold your hand and just do things for you anymore.

But his/her mom said she was going to pay for that, regardless who has to pay for it. 2k is not that bad, is it?

magickiss87 22

I've had my mother do something similar to me and completely, royally fked me over. let's just say my mother and I have nothing to do with each other since her latest extent messed up stunt.

I'm pretty sure it takes more than 4 years for them to start garnishing your wages...

pheonixfire13 17

To the people saying its op's debt I don't think that's what they mean. My take on this FML is that op's mom took out a loan when they were younger without their knowledge and spent it on something else