By MochiMomoChan - 17/09/2009 09:32 - United States

Today, I found out I'm on wage garnishment because my mother, who took out a student loan for me back in '05, didn't pay off the $2015 owed when she said she would. I got screwed over financially because of her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 870
You deserved it 9 377

Same thing different taste

Top comments

While she did dick you over by not doing what she said she would, you shouldn't be relying on your mother to take out student loans for you anyway. If you're old enough to go to college then you're old enough to fill out the paperwork for a loan.

So you're moaning because your mum didn't pay of YOUR debt? Boo Hoo.

Comments

OHIOxRAIN 0

I have been in almost the same situation

Stay living at home or move back. You'll get $2k worth of room and board out of her eventually. Then you'll be even. Then you can start paying her back for EVERYTHING she's done for you in your WHOLE LIFE.

nyuukou 0

Okay, seriously, what's with the idea that you have to literally pay your parents back for raising you? I think it's pretty well known by now that parents don't have children just for what the children will give back to them when they're older. Obviously, if you're a good parent, your children will pay you back in love, affection, and not sending you to the old folks home when you get older if they can bloody well help it. (Actually, you don't have to be a good parent. From what I hear, my grandfather was a right bastard when my mother was growing up, although never abusive, and he still has one of his kids living with him to take care of him.) If you suck as a parent, by never being there for your kid or by being abusive or something like that, don't be surprised when your kid does nothing for you once they're grown.

Nanami_fml 0

Dude, I'm sorry to hear this. My mom ****** my education up too so I understand how that is. Also, not your fault if she agreed to pay for it. The rest of these blokes who say you deserve this can sod off!

Since this seems to be your student loan, you really should have paid attention to what was going on, even if she offered to pay it for you. Gods I am not looking forward to my student loans. 4 years at a private university and med school are not going to be cheap. Especially because my parents can't help me at all for the med school. The private school was really the only good option I had though. Everywhere else I applied is now overcrowded and underfunded.

galad2003 0

What if the mother can't pay for it? You can say she should pay it all you want but the law is the student has to pay it, which means he signed the financial aid forms so he is legally bound to do it.

If she can't pay for it, 1) why the **** did she say she would? and 2) if it came up later, why didn't she say that she was having some trouble and couldn't pay for it at that time? She just left her daughter hanging, thinking it was taken care of.

Laws are for cops and douchebags. hurhurhur

Quit crying. It's YOUR loan for YOUR schooling. You screwed yourself over.

It's possible the OP did look into it - after I finished college, I asked my parents (who graciously paid for my education) if there were any student loans I should know about (there weren't). It's very possible the OP's mom said "Nothing to worry about, I'll pay off that $2015 by September" and then didn't. Sorry about the wage garnishing! That sucks.

You're pissed off your mom paid for your schooling? $2,015 is not a whole lot, use your degree to get a job and pay off the loan.

nyuukou 0

She has a job, but wouldn't YOU be pissed off if someone told you they'd do something for you that would save you money and it turns out they lied? Besides which, depending on the job, based on the area the OP lives in, it could very well be a job that barely pays the bills, puts food on the table, pays for the gas to go in a crappy car with cheap insurance, and there's very little wriggle room in her budget. It sucks to live like that, yeah, but sometimes you can't help it. You're living in the cheapest place you can afford, cutting back on just about everything (and before you go, "But how is she on the computer?", may I point out free internet access at libraries?), and suddenly your carefully planned budget has gone to shit because your wages have just been garnished. So now you're stuck deciding where to cut back so hopefully you have enough money to get through until the loan that someone else said they'd pay off is paid. Of course, the OP could be pretty well off despite the economy, in which case she can go suck a toad. However, I have to wonder, if it weren't the OPs parents but instead someone else who had said, "Yeah, I'll co-sign, and then pay this off as a gift to you," if people would be all YDI because your parents don't owe you shit and have paid enough for you already. (Somehow, I get the impression all those people have really shitty parents.)

nyuukou 0

No, no. That's not an FML. This is an FML. Today, I found out that I still owe over $5.000 in student loans from one semester of college three years ago. My mother swore up and down she had it taken care of every time I asked. If anything came in the mail from the lenders, she took it. I finally found out because a reference I put down for the loan called because the lenders were harassing her about the loan. I don't have a job and I cannot get a job, despite applying everywhere that typically hires young adults with little to no work experience, because now you need experience, which I got screwed out of in high school when the economy was good and places were hiring because my mother didn't think children should work until after graduating high school. Therefore, my credit rating has likely gone to shit. I have no way of paying this crap off. If/when I get a job, I will probably be stuck living with my mother longer just so I can undo the damage she did. FML.

underyourbreath 8

Now, if the OP's back story was similar to THAT.. then I would say FYL for having a mother who messes with your credit. But couldn't you just have CALLED the loan company to double check?

To be fair right you are being really ungrateful and should be offering to pay, if not all, then at least some back. Seem though it's actually your fault to begin with because your not clever enough to sit there and fill out a form for yourself