By dragonfyre73 - 07/01/2015 00:32 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I finally met my long-distance boyfriend of three years for the first time in person. After an amazing dinner and movie date, we went back to his house, only for him to dump me half an hour later. Not because I wouldn't have sex with him. No, his cat doesn't like me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 024
You deserved it 8 459

dragonfyre73 tells us more.

OP here, as for all of you asking how we went three years without meeting each other, we meet in an online chatroom and became close friends. we knew each for about a year and a half before he asked me out. I was dubious as to how such a relationship would work, but it actually worked remarkably well. I personally am not the biggest fan of people or of physical contact, so having a boyfriend with whom I could only talk worked wonderfully for me. We did want to meet up in person sooner, but the travel costs along with more than a few family disagreements about the relation kinda made that a little bit difficult. We actually got back together later in my stay and he says that it was a joke. considering that he's always had an awful sense of humor, it really doesn't surprise me. I just wish that he'd been just a /touch/ more considerate. As it turns our, he had realized that he'd left the ring box on his bedside table and wanted to keep the proposal secret so yeah.

Top comments

IAmzephyr 22

if you ask me that was probably some excuse. if not, you probably dodged a bullet

Comments

Cat owners can be a bit crazy like that. But see it as a good thing, at least you didn't get further in the relationship, move in with him only to fight over the cat and then break up. If a cat doesn't like you it can make your life a living hell.

Get out once in a while & maybe date someone you can actually be with (instead of some jerk who'll string you along for 3 years). You (kinda) deserve it (for getting yourself into an obviously "fake" relationship, but at the same its kind of an FML....idk what else to say other than, grow up, get a life & definitely DON'T DATE PEOPLE YOU HAVEN'T ACTUALLY MET IN PERSON..you lucked out, because he could have been one of those Craigslist killers....lesson learned (I hope)...now move on with your life

I'm guessing he has issues with intimacy and relationships. He's been single for at least three years and suddenly he has a girlfriend. I wouldn't say it's your fault, OP

It's weird that you dated him for so long without knowing who he was.

Well slap fins on his cat and call it a catfish.

OP here, as for all of you asking how we went three years without meeting each other, we meet in an online chatroom and became close friends. we knew each for about a year and a half before he asked me out. I was dubious as to how such a relationship would work, but it actually worked remarkably well. I personally am not the biggest fan of people or of physical contact, so having a boyfriend with whom I could only talk worked wonderfully for me. We did want to meet up in person sooner, but the travel costs along with more than a few family disagreements about the relation kinda made that a little bit difficult. We actually got back together later in my stay and he says that it was a joke. considering that he's always had an awful sense of humor, it really doesn't surprise me. I just wish that he'd been just a /touch/ more considerate. As it turns our, he had realized that he'd left the ring box on his bedside table and wanted to keep the proposal secret so yeah.

Whoa, did not see that coming. Congrats, OP! Now comes the fun and stress of wedding planning :D

I was once in a similar situation like you, not the cat thing, the long distance relationship. 2 years and only saw each other one time. Sadly it didn't work out :/ but i am glad you guys got back together although I am a little worried for you since who knows what else he will say as a "joke"

I'm actually in a long distance relationship and that was a little worrying to see, but I'm glad it turned out fine! Our stories are actually pretty similar, met in a chat, friends for very long time, and we still haven't met unfortunately because her mother backed out last minute last time. We are trying again before though!

Because ALL cat people are jerks. Right.

wanderingdoll 1

How do you have a boyfriend for 3 years that you have never met?! What the honest hell...? Maybe just a waste of 3 years.

and maybe your just a waste of space.

This generation is so ****** up. A long distance relationship for 3 months and you've never met. Talk about desperate for a relationship.

If they were "desperate" for a relationship, they wouldn't have dated online at long distance. Lonely people make people up when they have difficulty finding someone. I personally cannot do a long distance because I'm a very contact kinda person. But what is it your business if someone had this kind of relationship? **** off. Our generation nowadays is all about online. Some people(like me who works 4 part time jobs), are just too busy to get out and meet people firsthand. So go stick your head back up your ass and have a pleasant day!