By Anonymous - 26/09/2010 09:26 - Vietnam

Today, I finally had the confidence to show my girlfriend my hairy chest/stomach. I'm very self conscious about it, and get embarrassed easily. She said I looked disgusting, called me Chewbacca and broke up with me on the spot. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 303
You deserved it 7 149

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you're self-conscious about it, there are plenty of ways to get rid of hair you don't want. Doesn't excuse your ex's bitchy superficiality, but you don't have to have it if you yourself don't like it.

#13 Some girls like hairy chests and don't think that the hair makes guys "look like shit." Personally I find it weird when guys don't have any chest hair at all. I don't want to feel like I'm preying on the pre-pubescent... :O

Comments

I love guys with some "brown sugar" on their chest. to me it shows you are a man not a 12 year old boy.

First thing, go you for getting up the courage to do what you did, man. However, you can get the hair thing delt with by shaving or other means as such, ya know.

Also, bright side; if you shave or wax, you'll no longer be hairy. She'll still be a bitch, however.

jamjenni2774 0

it's normal for a man to have hair on their body, some more than others! big deal nothing to be ashamed of! what a shallow bitch..good thing the ass is out of your life!!

redrovaa 0

I like guys with hair on their chest and stomach O.o Don't listen to all the people saying 'well shave it off' It'll grow back worse and itch. As long as it's not bothering you, why should you get rid of it? Just 'cause someone thinks it's weird?

Well, he said he's self conscious about it.. so it probably does bother him.

redrovaa 0

I think he only cares about what people think about it, if it bothered him how it looked/felt or he didn't like it, he would've already shaved it off.

You have a point, redrovaa. I do think that if a girl breaks up with a guy over something as simple as chest hair, then he's better off without her. However, if he does have a problem with it, then I don't see why he shouldn't wax some (or all) of it off.

sourgirl101 28

Trimming with a beard trimmer has the least side effects. (Itching and breakouts.) All though many girls don't mind a hairy chest, most love a well groomed guy.

I'm not sure why all the comments telling OP to shave or wax are being voted down so hard. As #32 said, based on the wording this is a big deal for the OP, so it's not unreasonable to suggest they do something about it. Like no guy on here has ever shaved his face or girl has shaved her legs? No-one has ever done some manscaping or gone for a bikini wax? The problem the OP specifically identifies himself as being self-conscious about is dealt with by millions of people every day without any drama at all.

Strawberry - I completely see what you mean, but I don't see this as a point at which the OP should put up with something he was already deeply self-conscious about. I shave my face, not because society tells me to, but because I prefer it that way. I have relatively hairy arms (for some reason not unusual in Australian men) so I just use a clipper every once in a while. It doesn't bother me if I let it grow out, and I'm not that obsessive about it, it's just a personal preference and not a big deal. While I don't think OP should do something because society dictates it, if it's affecting his life, it's an easy fix.

Strawberry - Completely right. If OP has low self-esteem, and this is just how it manifests, what you say is spot on. I think though, that a lot of people feel ill at ease with their life and try to hang it on one thing or another that isn't the root cause of the problem. In some cases, they won't face up to one problem because if they were still unhappy afterwards, they wouldn't be able to use that as an excuse. I suppose back to the original FML, the OP's girlfriend was a complete jerk for reacting the way she did, especially if she had any inkling of the way he felt. That stuff causes scars way beyond what can be fixed with a little grooming.

mona_is_here 10

Don't go and wax or shave just for the sake of some selfish b*tch who finds excessive hair reasonable enough for a breakup. Finds someone who is capable of loving.

mona_is_here 10
bigblue95 0

it doest mean she is shallow. i mean looks shldnt be everything but they shld contribute. if ur repulsed by an attribute of another, why stay with them.

urface132 0

this is the 1st fml I actually lol'd

13: There's a big difference between having one flaw and "looking like shit." She obviously thought he was attractive with his clothes on. To dump somebody the way she did over something so easily managed, especially if you know that person is already self-conscious of it, is just cruel. Either she's incredibly shallow or she's being a total coward and lying about the reason.