By CallMeJesusFreak - 23/06/2011 23:58 - United States

Today, I couldn't prove my son has had chickenpox, so his school gave us the option of getting a potentially dangerous shot he didn't need, pay for an expensive blood test to show that he previously had the virus, or sign a waiver stating I'm a religious nut refusing medical treatment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 001
You deserved it 7 929

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

jcbspence 0

don't be a pussys shots are fine and blood tests don't cost that much cheap ass

I don't think you live in the real world.

Mmmcharlotte 0

blood tests can cost a ton I had to get them every month for a while and it cost me almost $300 even after insurance paid some.

if everyone in that school has the chicken pox shot, will anybody get it if your son gets chicken pox again magically? I mean, no one else in the school can get it if they have that shot already.

That's true. In fact, as long as about 85% of a population has immunity to a certain disease, the other 15% have a very low chance of getting the disease through a phenomenon known as herd immunity. The school's goal, though, is to make sure that 85% immunity is maintained, and one relatively fair way to do that is through required vaccinations (with the hope that only a small percent opt out for reasons like religious beliefs).

bruslywrestler 0

don't be an idiot it's the responsibilty of those who can get the shot o get it so hose who can't are protected, learn something before you post

popples2112 2

first off the vaccine is free at the health dept. and the blood test is usually covered by insurance

MuchDance90s 0

It sounds like the child has already had it, or that the parents don't want him to get the shot. There are a few ways the child could have antibodies -- vaccination, previous illness, through being breastfed (but only up to a certain age). Even if he doesn't have antibodies, the school shouldn't care. If he gets chickenpox, it's on his parents to take care of him, not the school.

The schools point is stopping a massive outbreak among other pupils by making sure as many kids as possible are immune.. You don't always know you're sick right away but you're already contagious.

can't the doctor tell you without having to do a blood test?

lisha88 1

just say your a nun and it's your day off so your not wearing your uniform lol

Are you implying that Catholics are religious nuts who are against vaccinations?

AtomicBryce 0

wut kind of skill does that

bingababe 16

Probably one that teaches students to spell correctly. Clearly nothing like the one you went to.

CaptinObvious467_fml 2

The same one who taught you how to communicate to other people. You are a dipshit.

CaptinObvious467_fml 2
Mabster84 2

There should be an option, as well, to elect claiming you do not want him to have this shot based off of philosophical beliefs. In my state, I will choose to do this with any future daughters because of their requirements that all little girls have to have the Guardasil shot when entering the 6th grade. These shots have actually killed some girls, but the state requires them? I totally agree that they shouldn't be allowed to step in and demand these things from parents.

I agree about Gardasil, but chicken pox? Yes it is the parents job to take care of their children, but what if their child gets another child sick? Chicken pox is highly contagious and one-in-100 suffer complications from it and die.

80-90% (depending on country) of deaths due to pox ARE ADULTS. Getting it as a child is no where near as harmful. In the UK we have around 25 deaths a year from it and 80% are adults. So We don't have the vaccine and 5 kids die a year. Before vaccination for varicella became widespread in the United States, this disease affected approximately 4 million children per year, caused as many as 100 deaths in children annually.. So your 1 in 100 is pretty much scaremongering..

so you'd rather your children faced a much higher risk of cancer than an infinitesimal risk of side effects from the vaccine? do us all a favor and don't have kids.

Mabster84 2

Morality is my choice. It is not moral for the state to step in and say that my child needs a vaccine that will help protect her in case she has unprotected sex. If she is taught correctly, that wouldn't be a problem to begin with. I understand the chicken pox vaccine can help, but this is an entirely different subject. The state should not be allowed to step in and tell us what to do with our children and their cervix.... THAT has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with their education. Also, my family history does not consist of any of the females having cervical cancer, which would not be stopped a vaccine anyway.

Erm.. #215 Gardasil is for HPV. HPV is the cause of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. CIN is a precursor to cervical cancer.. So in short HPV causes cervical cancer. Did you think they were giving this vaccine so girls could have unprotected sex? Are you THAT stupid!?!

corgimama 0

complications and dying are completely different. twice as many babies die from circumcision in the US as from chicken pox.

Death? Pretty good side effect! Gardisil only protects against 4 of the viruses. it's a money maker.

@228: It protects against 4 types of virus that are considered to be the most carcinogenic. While I'm sure it's made pharm companies quite a bit of money (and in my opinion should be slightly cheaper and then partially subsidized), it is a valuable preventative measure.

divin4angels 1

Genital warts is a strain of HPV and you can get those from contact alone which means it doesn't really matter if you wear a condom or not, condoms only protect against STIs transferred by fluid