By CallMeJesusFreak - 23/06/2011 23:58 - United States

Today, I couldn't prove my son has had chickenpox, so his school gave us the option of getting a potentially dangerous shot he didn't need, pay for an expensive blood test to show that he previously had the virus, or sign a waiver stating I'm a religious nut refusing medical treatment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 000
You deserved it 7 928

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

athena3100 9

I havnt gotten shots since year 2 and i havnt gotten sick since. but be for that i had chicken pox 3 times....

CaptinObvious467_fml 2

Bull to the shit. You can only get chickenpox once.

lulututu 4

well captin obvious she is 13. and 13 year olds do lie a lot.

monnanon 13

You can get it more than once but you need to have the shingles first and that is more often than not an adult disease.

Erm.. I've had chikenpox twice, it is possible. It's VERY rare to get it more than once! Three times is HIGHLY unlikely so I smell BS here but you CAN get it more than once. I had it very mildly the first time (when I was 6) so I didn't really build up an immunity. I got it again when my mum was looking after our neighbours kids who had it (when I was 9). My brother only had it once.

#78 Where did you get that from? That is not true. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying? You can get chickenpox more than once, no shingles involved. Shingles is caused by the same virus but it is not the same thing.

83 is right - one of the reasons most people keep lifelong immunity to chickenpox is that the virus continues to live with you for the whole of your life. It is this existing virus re-emerging that causes shingles. If you have had shingles then you have the virus already and can't catch chickenpox.

I had it three times as well. My sister had it twice. It's possible.

monnanon 13

Well im clearly the odd one out as I am twenty five and yet to have the chicken pox lol My understanding of the virus was you could not get it again until it left yr body as the shingles. I imagine you could get it more than once but that would be damned unlucky :S

you can get a virus that you have already had if your imune system is comprimied. to fight of a firus your white blood cells recognize it and destroys it, but ifyour white blood cells are busy fighting of another disease and your body is too run down then it is possible to get the same virus twice, however it is very rare

The virus never goes away, even after shingles. Once it's in there it's there for good. That doesn't mean you can't get it again though.

ReynshineCutting 10

I had it twice too. Like the other person, my first case was very mild so a couple years later I got it pretty bad. Haven't had it since though so the second time worked!

PanikBaby 8

U would have to have a very low immune system to get it again. Very low....

wrong #39, you can get chicken pox more than once, I had it twice as a kid.

Chrispayne 4

Sound like some one needs to keep better records.

judices 0

Wat the hell??? what more evidence than a whole bunch of dots did they need???

He doesn't have any as he doesn't have chickenpox. Read again..

zebrapattern 6

i think OP meant that she couldn't prove that her son had already had the chicken pox in the past, which is why if the school gave him a shot to prevent chicken pox, it would have negative effect on child that already had them. which OP cannot prove already happened.

what amazes me is this kid doesn't even have one chicken pox scar. seems like everyone I know has at least one somewhere.

ReynshineCutting 10

I don't have any chicken pox scars and I had it twice. It just depends on the person.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
CaptinObvious467_fml 2

Now im not poking fun but wouldn't you be causing more harm than good by not giving him shots. There are diseases far more dangerous than a minesule amount of dangerous chemicals in a shot. I would rather risk mercury poising than measles or tetanus

You would rather have a child's life ruined by a vaccine for a childhood disease that everyone over the age of 25 has had? I had chicken pox...didn't die. Neither did 99% of the people that had it. I would rather my son have chicken pox, become naturally immune to it, and go on with his life than to look at him staring at the wall rocking back and forth without a hope of him leading a normal life. I will take chicken pox any day.

CaptinObvious467_fml 2

What abou MMR would you rather have your child die than risk on the 1 percent chance that it might cause brain damage? Do your research vaccines don't cause brain damage.

I have to agree with CaptinObvious. I'm not a pediatrician, but I would think a child with autism would benefit tremendously by getting the vaccine- both in terms of present (not getting chicken pox as a child) and long into the future (I would never wish shingles on anyone, let alone someone with autism).

never heard of shingles?? and there's no science linking vaccines to mental health issues except the quack from the uk who was found to have falsified data on his research and now has his license to practice medicine revoked.

RainbowHeadache 2

I'd rather my kid have it's shots than risk them getting measles, mumps, chicken pox (which I've never had so I could catch it), or any of the diseases you get shots for as a kid. If shots were so dangerous they wouldn't be used. They aren't experimental drugs that may or may not cause all your limbs to fall off and your eyes glue shut. They're just shots.

monnanon 13

@22 I dont understand why you mention your childs autism as a reason for him not to get vaccines, you do know that the vaccines do not cause autism right? i can't stand this blatent disregard kids health because of some quacks spouting of the dangers of the MMR. Autism is present from birth but it hard to spot til the kids personalities develop which is funnily enough around the same time the MMR is given. As for this chicken pox vaccine I didn't even know there was one, maybe the UK are too cheap to pay for it.

It doesn't last that's why the UK don't give it, it only lasts around 5yrs. I'd rather my kid just got chickenpox, the only reason there's a vaccine is so they don't get shingles later in life..

82 - you can get the vaccine in the UK if you pay for it. A friend of ours is a GP and has had her kids vaccinated because (so she says) she has seen what the complications of chickenpox can be. I had the impression from her that it provides life-long protection but I'm not sure on that one.

You have to have at least one booster shot after 5 yrs. It's hard to find info on it because the vaccine has only been in use for about ten years, doctors do not know how long the vaccine's immunity will last.

Coming from someone who almost DIED from the chicken pox, I'm going to have to disagree with you. And where are you getting your stats? 99% survival rate is not correct. My daughter has had her chicken pox vaccination and gets every vaccination that she is supposed to have. I value her life and don't want her to suffer from preventable diseases with potentially fatal outcomes. People like you are the reason for super bugs...

Exactly 108. And we risk diseases returning that have been eradicated a long time ago like smallpox and polio, bc there are more and more ppl not getting the vaccine. she mentioned the autism bc there are people that believe vaccines cause autism, which is not true.

monnanon 13

Actually super bugs develop because of the overuse of antibiotics, cleaning agents and paracetomol based things. If more people had to fight the bug with their own antibodies then the super antibiotic resistant strains would not exist.

most shots are an injection of a sterilized form of the virus or a very weak form of it. there is a very insignificant chance that any vaccine would be dangerous, yet refusing to have your child vaccinated can be potentially dangerous. viruses like the chicken pox, while considerably harmless for a child, can prove to be fatal at an older age. also not vaccinating your child at their proper age can risk the lives of other children (your kid may have an imune system that is developed enough to fight of a virus, yet your child could spread it to a younger individual that is not old enough to recive the shot and could die because of contractingthe disease.

22- You are a moron. The link between vaccines and autism has long been disproven. It's a complete myth. My little brother has had low-functioning autism since the day he was born. He's 18 years old, had all his shots, and is nowhere close to staring at a wall all day. There may be some individuals who do that, but the autism spectrum is completely varied. It's still not even clear what causes it, which is why we have idiots like you still spreading lies and myths about vaccines.

#108 How old were you when you had chickenpox?

Also before the vaccine only 100 out of 4 million children infected with chickenpox each year in the US died. Most that die of chickenpox are adults.

I suppose you've done the research and know exactly what all of those chemicals are and the effects they have on the body? sorry to say it but the only ones who actually know are the ones who made it and possibly the doctors distributing it. if there is a way to become naturally immune why risk it?

ReynshineCutting 10

I won't give the MMR vaccine just in case, but I'll give the individual vaccines. But **** the chicken pox vaccine. As soon as one of my kid's friends comes down with it my kids are off to their house for a day. I'd much rather them have it as a kid than have it as an adult where it's 1000x worse. **** that.

I don't see the point in a chickenpox vaccine tbh, in the UK we only give it to people who are vulnerable or likely to get complications. If I was offered it I'd take it but I don't think it's a major one if you don't get it. MMR on the other hand IS important, it does NOT cause autism. All vaccines can cause side effects and some people may be allergic to some stuff in them but that shouldn't stop people getting them!

@158, I was 3 and in the hospital for 4 weeks.. My sister was 5 when she had them, her were not as bad as mine, but she also had a lengthy hospital stay.

rbn1995 5

i agree, though i doubt you would risk mercury poisoning, the amount is couple times SMALLER than in some food

That's unfortunate for you #235 it's still kinda rare though unless you have a compromised immune system. Only 100 children out of 4 million infected children die which is pretty good odds compared to other childhood illnesses. Don't get me wrong, if they offered the shot here on the NHS I'd get my kids the shot but they don't so they won't get it.

ermrodgers, I understand chicken pox is really not that dangerous to kids, and personally I would not bother paying to have it done. But when it's free, it's a requirement of the school and there is VERY little evidence to suggest it's dangerous, you may as well just do it. The connection between vaccinations and autism has repeatedly been demonstrated as virtually non-existent (weak, at best). This is why there is an outbreak of whooping cough in many areas now. Because of dumbass parents who think the vaccination is too dangerous to give their kid. So the kid gets whooping cough and dies, or gives it to another kid who then dies. A child is far more likely to die from whooping cough than the vaccination for it. Seriously, which would you prefer?? People need to grow a brain and stop pretending their internet-based self-education is more advanced than the education of medical professionals who have spent over 10 years studying health.

Badshah29 6

tell them to do the blood test off there own budget

MuchDance90s 0

Is that legal? Gawd, that's crazy. Guess pharmaceutical companies have more rights than parents. All I have to do is sign a waiver.

Why did they need you to prove he has chickenpox?

CaptinObvious467_fml 2

So people in his school don't get AIDS

Maybe there is a student at the school who is immunocompromised? If that's the case, I think the school is being quite reasonable.

michelledawn 0

Transfer. That school isn't right.

Apparently most US elementary schools now require proof your child is in some way immune before they start.