By Anonymous - 17/10/2012 10:15 - Australia

Today, for the second time, I met the man I'm having an arranged marriage with in 3 months. I'd previously met him last night, while he was mugging me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 100
You deserved it 3 363

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zoh_Aubrey 8

The arranged marriage is really the worst part of this FML.

This is one of those situations I really want to hear more about.

Comments

I see some of the people posting against arange marriage have the wrong impression in their minds. Yes, back in the day, and in poor places now, it still happens in a forced manner. That doesn't mean every other one is like this. Uneducated, ignorant people will continue to be as such until they learn. I have 1 brother, 2 sisters and a large family. We live in Canada. My siblings have all been arrange marriaged, and they are all very happy. I am 21 and I have dated some girls, but when it comes to getting married I would like to get arrange marriage. The way it works is, I tell my mom, hey I like a girl who's tall, I want her to be pretty (as I think its important to me), educated. Now what my mom does is she goes into her huge network of friends and finds someone who fits my critaria, and hers. Her criteria is, a girl who knows her values, has a good family (a way person is raised says a lot), religious, would be a good wife. After she finds such a girl she will introduce us. Sometimes itll just be a picture first so that no feelings are hurt if I dont approve after meeting. Then we meet, we talk get to know one another, see how we both relate. After getting to know one another we both give our parents our own decissions. Based on that we move forward. Also when we meet and talk, we are said to always ask the other person if they are being forced, and if so I would say no and save them the trouble. This actually really works. As someone living in Canada with a 56% divorce rate I see all my uncles, cousins, parents and siblings go through arrange marriage, all AMaZINGLY happy, have beautiful kids and noone is "forced". I think its also cuz the person goes into the marriage not with huge expectations and an experience of sleeping with ten people before. So you are not really looking at the flaws, rather you are both trying to make each other happy and in my experience works.

#208, The FML isn't about whether arranged marriages are good or bad; it's about an arrangement gone very wrong. The families either weren't careful, or they had another agenda for matching OP to a criminal.

Ok I get where a parent might help you meet someone, but why do they even need to be involved after that? And why must the person meet your parents criteria? As long as they meet your criteria it shouldn't matter what your parents think.

The question is...since when in Australia did we do arranged marriages?! Another question. We're you in Melbourne? Bwahahaha

Arranged marriage?! Australia?! What?!

janeybean 4

I didn't know people still did arranged marriages. Honey you have freedom don't marry this guy Psh please it's one of ur unalienable rights either tht or its the first amendment at least in USniss

Some people on here really don't bother to research anything before they make a comment. Arranged marriages happen in many cultures for many different reasons. It could be anything from a mail order bride to an agreement between friends. "Arranged" simply means that the marriage is more of a contract rather than something based on love. It is also possible to marry first and then fall in love with your spouse later. The OP's betrothed is obviously a terrible person, and the OP should do all they can to cancel the contract.

Marry him and then divorce him. Or as I call it legal mugging

At least OP is getting their stuff back that got robbed

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous... OP lives in Australia, not a third world country - her parents have no say in anything. if she wants out of something as absurd as an arranged marriage, she needs to be an adult and make her own decisions. No amount of family money or whatever it is they're holding over her is worth her own free will... YDI for not standing up for yourself when you live in a free country