By Anonymous - 17/10/2012 10:15 - Australia

Today, for the second time, I met the man I'm having an arranged marriage with in 3 months. I'd previously met him last night, while he was mugging me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 100
You deserved it 3 363

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Zoh_Aubrey 8

The arranged marriage is really the worst part of this FML.

This is one of those situations I really want to hear more about.

Comments

Commenters: You know some people actually look forward to arranged marriages right? As long as you get to say 'no' if you don't get on with the person at first then I don't really see the problem. It's a bit unorthodox but just because sonething's different doesn't make it inherently bad. They can work out fine you know. OP: That's horrible, don't marry him. I hope your family understand.

Back out tell both sides of the family

Since OP is Australian I have to comment... Arranged Marriages under Australian law are illegal. I know this because I am getting married in 9 days and the celebrant made it clear that marriages are only legal if they are voluntarily entered into... Assuming OP is Indian where arranged marrages are very common (And apologies if this assumption is incorrect) then the only way your marriage would be legal is if you're going back to India for the marriage. Just because it's an arranged marriage doesn't mean you have sit idly by and accept it.

007type 26

Ok, I don't know where to start. I have read 160+ above comments and it astounds me to see the ignorance of people. First thing first, arrange marriage and forced marriage are two different things, forced marriages are repulsive, cruel or any name you can call, whereas in arrange marriages there is always choice/freedom. The family of the bride/groom have the best interest in hearts. And as many people have mentioned above about the divorce rate, it is extremely low as compared to love marriages. Granted, if the marriage doesn't work out, there is always the option of divorce. Then there is always the cultural/religious aspect, and giving names like barbaric or awful, is frankly, very pathetic. And yes, it is 2012, if someone want to live with their beliefs and faith, so let them, why being so judgemental? It's their life, if they are happy with it then whats the problem? And to all people who are criticizing Islam, Islam is the most complete and peaceful religion, it does not encourage these types of acts. It makes me sad to see the balant discrimination against the cultures/religions.

ideasrule 13

You should zip your mouth, because you obviously know nothing about those "cultures/religions". Have you ever been through an arranged marriage, or known someone who has? Are you from a culture/religion with arranged marriages? I have, and I am. Listen, idiot: the reason arranged marriages lead to low divorce rates is because THEY CAN'T LEAVE. Either the family prevents the wife (and it's usually the wife) from divorcing, or there are tremendous legal and social obstacles in societies with arranged marriages, or the culture heavily frowns upon divorce. I know, because my mom stayed with my dad for 25 loveless years despite constant beatings, a mistress that my dad had sex with every other day (which even I knew about, as a 11 year old), and absolutely no signs of romance from my dad. "There's always the option of divorce" is either extremely naive or a malicious lie. Before you start spouting nonsense about other "cultures/religions", make sure you know something about them first. As for letting people have their own beliefs/faiths, that's easy to say until there is clear and abundant evidence that those beliefs are harmful. What if I believe that you should be raped? What if I believe all Jews should be murdered? What if I believe vitamins cure cancer, and die a long and painful death because of it? If you had any sympathy at all for others, you would try to correct harmful and outdated beliefs, even if they are deeply held.

007type 26

Are you telling me that I don't know my own culture? To answer your first question, I haven't been married yet and everyone in my family, close or extended,has been in a arrange marriage. Except 2 or 3 instances, no disrespect there. And all are happy bu the grace of God. And yes, being a Muslim I can say that I am from a culture in which arrange marriages take place. Look, whatever happened between your father and mother, I am really sorry. They/She always had the option of divorce, they divorced after 25 years, right? You can't just lest your frustration out on other people, and go questioning the sanctity of marriage? What your parents were forced into was FORCED marriage not ARRANGE marriage, pointing the difference between them was kinda main point in my original post. As as your last paragraph, I don't if I should laugh or cry. Harmful and outdated beliefs? Who are we to judge. But I would very much like to know about your ethnicity, If you wouldn't mind.

007type 26

No one deserves that, what happened to you. I can't image what you and your mother are going through.

Lying about violent, outdated cult being peaceful does not make it peaceful. Anyone claiming islam is peaceful should be ashamed of themselves. It would be on the same level as still claiming that letting blood is a legitimate medical procedure. I don't care what cults people create/are in as long as they don't hurt others - which islam does. Doesn't matter how much you cover your eyes, ears and keep repeating the lie.

Well what's yours is his and vice versa sooooo...

ideasrule 13

Arranged marriages are barbaric, and anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. Here's my anecdote, even though I realize it's only 1 data point: My parents weren't even in an arranged marriage; it was merely a "pressured" marriage, where they met each other on their own, but their parents pressured them to get married. As a 11 year old, I was fully aware that my dad was openly having sex with another woman. I had to watch my dad beat my mom on a frequent basis and, on one occasion, create a rather large crater by smashing my mom's shoulders into the wall. By this point, they were obviously grown adults, but because the norms of our corrupt culture frowned upon divorce, they stayed married for 25 loveless years. My parents divorced last year, and all 3 of us are much happier because of it. Every time somebody mentions the sanctity of marriage or the shame of divorce, I think about what it was like to grow up in an abusive household and feel glad that I live in a society where love is not chained by the state, church, or culture.

So your argument basically has nothing to do with arranged marriage. The same of your parents' situation, could be said of millions of "free will" marriages. Don't you think the situation is more ****** up when people CHOOSE to be with each other and end up in your situation? It happens in secular and religious marriages, arranged or not. Now I completely empathise with you, and even though I can't relate to your experience I can certainly imagine the emotional trauma you and your mother suffered at the hands of your father. I also agree that it is good that in a large portion of the world, marriage is not tied down to religion or state, but for you to brand arrange marriages barbaric is pure discrimination.

ideasrule 13

The point is, it WASN'T even forced; it was free-will plus societal pressure. It's obvious what even a relatively small amount of pressure can do; now imagine being disowned if you refuse a marriage, which often happens with arranged marriages. Yeah, there's a lot of freedom there! Obviously if a marriage is arranged but completely free, and nobody is under the slightest pressure, I can't object against it. But that's pure fiction, because in reality, even "free" arranged marriages come with enormous pressure to accept.

ideasrule 13

And no, few people end up in this situation when they choose to be with each other. I understand that in some cases, the husband prevents the wife from leaving. But that's not what happened here; both people had every reason to leave, and leaving would have benefited everyone, but they didn't divorce because of cultural norms.

Hm. Arranged marriages have always seemed interesting to me. Reminds me of blind-dating, but with a helluva lot more work put into the whole thing (and, of course, it's more serious). Anywho, I don't like the emphatic response this issue is getting. "Brain-washing" is a very serious term, and if you're willing to use it against other cultures, be sure you can't say the same thing about your own. I was raised with notion that finding a compatible partner was completely my own responsibility; but I have not been "brain-washed" by my American values to believe that any other way is barbaric.

I would definitely un-arrange it if I were you.

Silly India with your arranged marriages