By Flipside - 02/05/2009 00:46 - United States

Today, as I was driving home, I saw a woman get hit by a car. I immediately parked on the side of the road to assist her. I called an ambulance and stayed with her until they came to get her, comforting her all the while. When I returned to my car, I found a parking ticket in my windshield. FML
I agree, your life sucks 112 704
You deserved it 6 449

Same thing different taste

Top comments

aupilot 0

There is usually a process by which you can contest the ticket. You MIGHT be able to get out of it since it was an emergency.

Comments

You need to fight that ticket or else no one would stop.

curryndricegirll 0

#32, the answer to your question is #16, #17, and #24. But like everyone said, fight the ticket. Anyway, it might be one of those things that ends up being a blessing in disguise. Good deeds deserve good deeds.

squeaksx24 0

Aw, at least you did the right this. You should fight the ticket though because that's really unfair. Honestly, to anyone who clicked YDI, you're an asshole.

Loe_307 0

Please tell me you're smart enough to fight the ticket.

No good deed goes unpunished.... (ughhh) ================================= You can fight this and win. Probably all you have to do is explain what happened. I would be offended if there were any judge willing to uphold this ticket. But you might also try an argument under the legal theory of excuse [If you are in the USA]: (e.g. you committed an infraction or misdemeanor in order to prevent a more serious crime, a felony.) While you vehicle was parked in violation of the parking ordinance, that violation was excusable because you were acting to prevent a significantly more serious crime, manslaughter or attempted murder of the woman you were assisting which may have resulted if she did not receive your assistance. In fact, once you began assisting the woman you were bound by a duty to continue assisting her. Under the circumstances it was impossible for you to assist in caring for the woman without violating the parking ordinance. Maybe this is the sort of doctrine that Good Samaritan laws have evolved out of. If I had the time it might be interesting to compare the two. Disclaimer: THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT A LAWYER, yet. It is just an argument that would likely be proffered if such a hypothetical were posed in my criminal law class. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM AN ATTORNEY. I am not your lawyer.

#24 you're a dick (or a bitch if you're a female) Obviously, you don't have a heart or conscience.

chasingstarlight 0

I agree with everyone who is telling you to contest it. You'll win. :) Good luck and thanks for doing the right thing.

Unfortunately, unless you just didn't buy a ticket, parking restrictions are there so that you don't cause ANOTHER accident. Sure, they're dicks because nothing happened, but it depends where you parked

#24, I wonder if you are humane in the least. You realize that even saying that is bad karma, right? Don't be surprised if you get into an accident, and nobody helps you for a fear of getting a parking ticket. Do you really think the OP thought "I'm above the law, I'll just park here"? To the OP, you realize that if you don't get out of the ticket, that makes you all the more a hero right? But I hope you do get out of it, it's truly BS.