By Dan1021 - 04/02/2012 19:31 - France

Today, after telling my girlfriend that I loved her, she dumped me claiming I was getting "too attached". I've already spent almost $400 on her Valentine's Day present. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 999
You deserved it 23 259

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Spending that much proves that you ARE too attached. Or too rich, in which case she's a fool for not hanging on :P

Aregonde 15

Depends how long he's been in the relationship. $400 is an awful lot to be spending on someone you've been seeing for less than a year.

Comments

perdix 29

Sorry, snickerdoodles, but "attached" only has two t's! Didn't mean to steal your thunder, but it was just too big a mistake to go unnoticed. You JUST told her you love her and your going to blow $400 on her a week later. Sounds like you are trying to buy her love. For our 10th wedding anniversary, I gave my wife a coupon for a free oil-change. She loves me!

Oh no you di-int! :P As for the FML, $400 does seem a bit too much for Valentines day. Would be harsh saying YDI, but it seems like you went a tad overboard.

Oh man, if we're going to start correcting the FMLs themselves then I have a whole thunderstorm to lay down.

Perdix, I feel like a traitor for doing this, but you corrected snickerdoodles' spelling, so I must return the favor. You should have said "and YOU'RE going to blow" Insert innuendo here.

sterl13 0

perdix I think I have a man crush on you:)

perdix 29

Touché, Cthulu. I all ways make misteaks when aye try too corrrect poeple! Eye should knot dew that.

perdix...Your wife is awesome. :) Why is everybody hating on snickerdoodles? Is she super annoying?

perdix, how do you put the accent mark on the "touche?"

o0XMzMayX0o 0

and now people are trying to correct over punctuations. like the keep attacking me?!? they need a block tool in here!

#95 snickerdoodles is a grammar Nazi. She is awesome. Everyone who can't spell, capitalize, or use proper English gets pwn'd by her, and thus hates her. Perdix is probably using his iPhone, which will either automatically add the accent mark, or else a long press on the e key will bring up these options: è é ê ë ę ė ē I'm not sure how you would do it on a PC, but you could try holding alt while pressing e. I don't know if it will work though.

perdix 29

#94 wordgirl: snickerdoodles is a pretty clever girl who often has funny comments, but sometimes wastes her time and ours correcting spelling and grammar. I was giving her a gentle jab suggesting that being a proofreader is beneath her and she should stick to the funny.

DogmaT_fml 4

agreed all grammar nazis should disappear and eat it. If its funny go ahead.

perdix 29

#113 Cthulu and #95 wordgirl I use a Mac at home and to make the accent aigu, I hold the Option key down and press E, release the Option key and type another E. The Option+E combo means to put an aigu on the next letter typed.

As do I, but I figured it was 85% more likely that wordgirl has a PC. Or whatever the current percent of Windows marketshare is.

sterl13 0

I've never seen a comment from 'snickerdoodles' that was in any way humorous...

Fiskerz 0

On a computer you have to hold alt then use num pad and type three numbers. That works on games anyways.

Regarding the é: On a PC, hold Alt and Press 1-3-0 on the number pad. It has to be a number pad. If you're on a laptop (that's not 16" or larger) you should have some way to simulate the number pad with your function key. Other notables: 133 for à, 135 for ç, 136 for ê... basically anything 128 and up will give you an accented letter.

o0XMzMayX0o 0

ditto correcting people and being mean about it it's not funny!

The Carrot Top thing the other night made me giggle.

$400 for a casual girlfriend (i.e. someone who hasn't said "I love you") is too attached

Okay, it sucks. But why would you spend that much money on a gf for a FAKE holiday? Hope you kept the reciept. I think this is half FML and half YDI. Sorry dude.

I have to agree with this. $400 for a day that didn't personally mean anything to you guys. And even before "I love yous" were exchanged.

dreamer13 0

maybe u r a bit "too attached" think bout it u spent $ 400 on her pres! dang!

I really don't understand when people complain their partner is "too attached" or "too clingy." "Oh Jesus, no, my boyfriend LIKES me! AHHHH!" **** her, OP and move on to someone who'll appreciate your genuine affection. FYL for now though.

Let me try and explain it for you the best I can. I've had boyfriends and boys who've had crushes on me who I would describe as "too attached/ clingy". It's not that I'm complaining that they cared about me, heavens no. It's the fact that there's a difference between a sweet and considerate person and someone who makes me their "everything" in an unhealthy, uncomfortable way. Someone may think it's sweet, but that person isn't me. It probably wasn't that girl either, and she probably would have been even more uncomfortable with an expensive gift. More likely then not, he was probably suffocating her and projecting all of his insecurities on her.

There's a difference between liking someone and smothering them. If they have been dating for a week it is smothering and terrifying. Otherwise, if they were in a longterm relationship then the OP was just dating a bitch.

Giving overly expensive gifts and saying, "I love you", too early in a relationship does not necessarily equate to being truly sweet or caring. It can also mean the person is co-dependent, possessive, or very insecure. If I were OP's girlfriend, I might have felt like I was being bribed.

Fabby_fml 2

I actually like clingy and I think this is serious overkill. Spending $400 before even saying I love you is indicative that something is very, very wrong.

Dude, how long have you been with this chick? Don't frikin buy her a $400 dollar gift if you guys haven't even gotten to the point of regularly saying "I love you". Sucks that you got dumped, but YDI for buying a gift like that when you aren't even at that point.