By Anonymous - 13/03/2015 15:02 - United States

Today, after several months of eating right, exercising, and weight loss, my mother has yet again arrived at my house, unannounced and with a very sugary cake. She's been doing this most weeks since I lost 50 pounds. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 670
You deserved it 2 839

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Doesn't sound like your mom's being very sweet

Maybe she's saying that you need to sweeten up? Don't give her such a frosted response- appreciate her kindness, even if it's Devil's Food!

Comments

You could try talking to her about it, while making it very clear that you appreciate the thought and would also have appreciated the actual cake had you not been trying to watch your weight. I've been in a similar situation where I couldn't speak my mind. If you can't talk to her about it, it's pretty much a locked situation. I hope for you that she's willing to cooperate.

Try telling her that keeping the weight you have Los is important to you and that you appreciate that she is bringing you food and is stopping by, but a cake isn't helping your long term goal of leading a healthy lifestyle.

That woman sounds jealous. I mean, I kinda am too! Shit, I'm currently 400 trying to drop 100, any tips!

REALLY count your calories, measure portions even. A good beginning technique is to do a ketogenic diet. Which is essentially, you eat LESS THAN 50g carbs a day, after eating 0 carbs for 1-2 days to start it. The majority of your calories should be protein and fat (yes fat, it's an energy source). Basically You'll be eating meat, sugar free salad dressing, and low carb cheeses all day. Water and black coffee only. I'm not sure on your mobility ability, but walking is a start. The species **** Erectus evolved to walk over 20 miles per day, walking is key to our identity. Walk, do the eliptical machine at a gym, and lift free (barbell, dumbbell) weights. Doing keto helps reinforce portion control, curb sugar addiction, etc. You'll find when you eventually get off of keto to try other approaches, making the lifestyle change as opposed to just a diet, will be easier. I found things were sweeter than before, and I enjoy my treats a lot more when I have them than I ever did before.

I've lost 40 Pounds and still losing. My advise to you is to stay away from these fad diets because they don't teach you anything and you're likely to fall back in your old habits once finished. Go see a nutritionist who will give you a healthy diet. If you can't afford one, stick to these simple rules: ban anything with refined sugar in it, all sweet and salty treats in general, also everything fried. Grilled lean meats (chicken and turkey) and white fishes are great, lots of boiled green vegetables and salads with tomatoes, tuna in brine, carrots... Poached and boiled eggs are a great source of fat free protein. You don't need to count calories this way because this type of food has very low sugar and fat and you don't need to restrict yourself. Above all, DO NOT buy processed food even if it says low fat on it. They are usually high in sugar. Make yourself dips and dressing with Greek yogurt or plain yogurt, use fresh herbs. No more than 2 fruits a day. Starch, ie bread, pasta (prefer wholewheat) twice a week and in reasonable quantities. Exercise is also very important. You can start slow with half an hour walk a day and progressively increase. What is important is that you do some exercise at least 5 days a week. Good luck.

I'd suggest going in the house, having a small piece with her, chat a bit, and end by telling her to only bring enough food for you two to have over tea/coffee/whatever. If she doesn't get the hint, well.

Nobody can resist cake! It's delicious!

Maybe she's jealous because she looks like the person in my profile picture

mocking people with Down syndrome is such fun to do, isn't it? Shame on you!

Orrrr, she could just be an old woman. Time, gravity, and fat are real bitches, especially when they triple-team on you.

I seriously doubt that time has given this lady the very characteristic facial features that most down syndrome patients suffer from...

TabooSushi 24

Accept the cake, wait til she leaves, and then give it away or toss it. Then let her rage-wonder to herself how her attempts to sabotage your diet haven't worked.

Brilliant! Pass the cake off to a friend as a homemade treat for them because you care about them so much. Then you get to make your mother mad/annoyed that she is failing to sabotage you, your friend feels really good and gets a (hopefully) delicious treat, and you get to feel good about sticking to your healthy living plan, not letting food go to waste, and being smarter than your (pretty horrible sounding) mother.

It seems like your mom is trying to ruin your diet. That's pretty low of her, in my opinion. Just get rid of the cake when she's gone. You don't need the temptation, and she'll think you're eating it. You'll end up getting the last laugh when you keep the weight off.

Stay strong OP. I'll have the cake if you're not wanting it. :)