Thievery

By ExtemelyBroke - 06/06/2009 02:24 - United States

Today, I checked my bank account that I've been saving money in since I was a kid for college. I have $100 left out of the $10,000 I had last month. Apparently my parents thought buying a pool and an HDTV for themselves was more important than my college education. FML
I agree, your life sucks 131 710
You deserved it 6 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sue. Sure, they're your parents, but God, being inconsiderate like that. It's your future.

That really ought to be illegal. You get screwed if your parents don't meet their financial aid obligations for your education, so there should be some legal requirement for your parents to meet those obligations.

Comments

if youre under 18 it is technically their money... FYL though

scrappycocoa 0

There are only a few people in this world that I trust and that is me, myself and I. Even though they had access to your bank account, what they have done is wrong!

If your 16+ shouldve had it so they couldn't access it and if it's your account not theirs at all they owe you the money. If however it's a education savings they put the money in for an you tossed in a few hiundred or less oh well

Some banks don't allow minors to have their own accounts. The bank I was at required one of my parents to be with me if I was withdrawing money. They also refused to remove my parents after I was 18 and my parents still had full control over the accounts. The one good thing was that if I overdrew the accounts then removed my name from them, my parents were responsible to pay it all back. I didn't do it but the OP could.

topshelf44 0

That's a selfish act and gl gettin the money back.

sowhatrockstar 0

Aw I'm sorry your parents are mean you should try talking to them. If that doesn't work make them write thief own FML story. If you get what I'm saying.

Wow the same thing happened to me. It really sucks, I'm sorry.

Banks don't let anyone under 18 open an account in their own name. If the OP had the account since he was a kid, it would have been a joint account with one of his parents. The only way to get the parent off the account would be to wait till you turn 18, go to the bank with said parent, close the account, and transfer the money to a new account solely in your own name. It's a bit of a hassle and there's no real point in doing it unless you really don't trust your parents. Honestly, parents plundering your college fund for a new TV isn't something a teen should be reasonably expected to take precautions against. OP, you could complain to your parents. Or, if you really don't give a damn, sell (or return) the TV for cash and open up your own bank account with the money. What they did was inexcusable, and it might not be a bad idea to distance yourself from them. They sound like the kind who'd want to mooch off you once you land a job after college.