Thievery

By ExtemelyBroke - 06/06/2009 02:24 - United States

Today, I checked my bank account that I've been saving money in since I was a kid for college. I have $100 left out of the $10,000 I had last month. Apparently my parents thought buying a pool and an HDTV for themselves was more important than my college education. FML
I agree, your life sucks 131 710
You deserved it 6 452

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sue. Sure, they're your parents, but God, being inconsiderate like that. It's your future.

That really ought to be illegal. You get screwed if your parents don't meet their financial aid obligations for your education, so there should be some legal requirement for your parents to meet those obligations.

Comments

heavenandhell 0

i agree with 92, your old. but if your not old and you want the money back if it is yours just tell them that you will have to live a home the rest of your life cause you cant get an education, im sure they will give it back to you

Look On The Bright Side: When you don't go to college, don't have a job, and are living at home, you can pass the time by swimming an watching picture perfect TV :-D

thatswasup 0

#13: how do stupid people like u exist? To all of the people saying "sue!" NO. Why is it that when something bad happens people think firstly of "sue!" Is laizzez faire a lost idea? The government does NOT control the U.S. We are a free people so every time we sue and bring the government into it that gives them more and more power until every little thing like an accident on the playground becomes a lawsuit. Also same thing goes for healthcare. If everyone had free healthcare the hospitals and clinics would jam packed full of stupid people who are there for like a paper cut or something. Then you, with a serious problem like a broken bone has to wait a couple days. It's just stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I had to get that out. The ranting liberals on TV are pissing me off. >:(

If the account was in your name with them added as a joint person AND if you have put things like paychecks in there you can file a lawsuit against them. Most small claims courts allow up to $5000 in returns and some will go as high as $20,000. All you have to do is prove they took money that was legitimately yours. Even if they had access to the account, as your parents and you being under 18 at least some part of the time you had the account means they took advantage and many places have laws against actions like that. It might seem a bit excessive but if they are refusing to repay you then it is the only thing left. On the other hand you can ask them to sign for 10,000 in students loans, such as parent loans (loans in the parents name for the child) and they can slowly make the payments back on that. BUT MAKE SURE EVERYTHING YOU DO IS IN WRITING!!! If they are going to screw with you once they will likely try to do it again.

#90 .. it's the best way to get justice of something meaningful that you lost .. I would hit up your parents for double what they took from you

#78: Ever hear of scholarships? Also, some parents start putting away money for their kids to attend school no matter their economic status. My parents are comfortably middle class, but they started saving money for my college when I was young. Between that money and my own scholarships, I will be graduating debt free. #92: The account might have started out with money from the parents or other contributors, but once the OP was old enough to make decisions about money, he could have started placing money in the account himself from his allowance or whatever money he made doing odd jobs for his parents or neighbors. I know that I've been contributing money to my savings account since I was about 7 years old. Only $100-$200 in the account was put there by my parents. OP: I'm so sorry to hear that. I have no idea what you can do to recoup the losses, but I hope you're able to work something out.

Obviously none of these people realize that this was a 'COLLEGE SAVINGS' that your parents started when you were a child, they think it was a regular savings account. Your parents DO have access to these accounts, because they are the ones saving the money for you. I would make them co-sign all of your student loans for you and then default on them up to the $9,900 they robbed you of.

xo_emily_xo 0

That's awful! How can your parents be so...RETARDEd?? I would never talk to them again if i were you. **** those shitbags ;) w/e their just gonna end up paying more for your college so its really FTL, not FYL.

Has no one here ever started a savings account? If you're a minor, your parent's name HAS to be on the account as well, which means they have access to the money. It's the same reason minors don't have access to trust funds. OP - sadly you would have been better off using your savings to buy long-term CDs every year or so. They would've built up more interest and your crap-ass parents wouldn't be able to steal your money. They'd better be prepared to pay back the money they stole from you, or else I agree with filing a lawsuit. Parents shouldn't be allowed to put their child's future in jeopardy over a few new toys.

sbarre1 0

Going to call bullshit on this one.