The Dictator

By anonymous - 18/01/2012 05:06 - United States

Today, I discovered that my new landlords must meet and approve guests of mine before they come over, and guests are not allowed when they aren't home or past 11pm. I'm 25 years old and just moved out of my parents' home to get away from my controlling mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 145
You deserved it 4 113

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

Comments

If it isn't in the lease, it isn't legal. If it is and you signed it anyway, YDI.

conqueror57 11

Did you not read the lease before you agreed to it? Because if it's not in your lease, they can't enforce that. If it's not in the lease, grow a spine and stand up for yourself. Maybe people in your life are "controlling" because you're easy to control?

iveanne 0

Even if you signed a lease, those types of provisions are not legal and will not hold up in court. They have no legal right to infringe upon your privacy like that. Call them out and tell them if they insist upon these "rules" that you will break the lease and sue them. Their lease will NOT hold up in court.

skyeyez9 24

Find another place to live ASAP.

hateevryone 14

your landlord & your mom must've met.

bizarre_ftw 21

Hang out there till you get a new place, however cheap that place is it's not worth it

From my own experience of living on my own since I was 16, with no other family in the country, i have had my share of bad landlords. Contracts and rights don't mean anything to some landlords. I've been walked in on, tried to get charged for damage on the house that was there before (black mold does not grow in 2 months), and all kinds of other nonsense. Just leave move on to the next. I'm now 24 and have found the perfect landlord, she lives in another province. FYL, its a life lesson and you will learn how to read people and realize if they're a nosy bastard, don't rent from them.

Yes, we get it the economy sucks but that shouldn't be an excuse to get to leech off Mommy and Daddy. I've been out of the house since 18. At first living with a boyfriend but now have lived 100% on my own for two years. So yes it is possible for young people to survive in this economy.

If you have been out of the house since that, you should also know that the rent and food prices vary alot. I've been living in cities where the rents where three times higher than normal and the food was also more expensive, and I wouldn't have made it If I hadn't had some extra money since I worked before. But no one seems to think about that. Are you people so disinterested in the rest of the world that you just sit in that stupid apartment you are bragging about, or are you just stupid?

Maybe in your case, you were able to afford it-but when I was 18, I was in community college full time, didn't have anyone to have (or want) as a roommate, & I didnt have my own car, so moving out wasnt an option-here in nj it's almost impossible to pay less than 1000 a month to live somewhere, sometimes not including anything else besides basic rent-my hr mgr, who is f/t, is 26 & still lives at home, and I make less than 1000 a month

Another thing people dont seem to notice is that it's usually easier to stay living on your own after a while than to move out these days. After living on your own for years, you've probably gotten some raises (at my work its like +.30 every six months), maybe gotten a promotion, or at least gotten some senority at your workplace (in MA, on Sundays you get time-and-a-half, but when you start your're the bottom of the list) Not to mention, a lot of people take out loans to go to college and they want their money now! So, not only is it difficult to find work, but also difficult to find a job that would allow them to pay thier loans and live on their own.

Ok uh yea u need to move again. That's not really how it goes in the real world. That's pretty creepy

jaxg2006 4

That's illegal in the United Stayes. You have rights to your privacy.