The Dictator

By anonymous - 18/01/2012 05:06 - United States

Today, I discovered that my new landlords must meet and approve guests of mine before they come over, and guests are not allowed when they aren't home or past 11pm. I'm 25 years old and just moved out of my parents' home to get away from my controlling mother. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 145
You deserved it 4 113

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Are you renting an entire apartment, or are you renting a room in someone's house? If you're renting an apartment, then the space is functionally yours and your landlord has no business who comes and goes provided your guests don't disturb the other tenants in the building, and that you're not having extra people living there in violation of your lease. If you're renting a room in someone else's house, where you and your landlord have access to common living space in the same house, then yes, your landlord can make rules and the rules can be pretty arbitrary.

Did you sign something with this on it? If you did, deal with it, if you didn't and this was not discussed before you moved in, surely this would be grounds to break your lease?

Comments

Jesus Christ, you idiots can't even curse right anymore. You, sir, disgust me.

Jakesterk96 8

^trolling -.- do not fall for this display of lack of correct spelling. They are really taking more time out of their day to spell words wrong.

^ Or It could have been a joke u fukin asss

This is why you should learn all of the rules and restrictions before signing anything, darling. Some landlords are just a little bit off their rocker. I recall one FML where someone got fined for having pets in the house. Pet in question? A goldfish.

ZielZone 4

You're 25, and JUST moving out of your house??? Time to cut the apron strings and truly "leave the nest"

Have you any idea how bad the economy is, darling? It's not uncommon for darlings in their 20s to still be living under the roof of their parental units, given that they are are pulling their own weight and have no problems between them, until they can afford to support themselves in their own place.

msjoyfull84 0

No one told my parents that!!!!!

TheDrifter 23

How long are people going to ride the "but, the economy" wagon before they realize that this is life and they're just the ones failing at it?

#36, just because you're getting old and have your own place, doesn't mean that the young people who doesn't have failed. I wouldn't belive you're actually 30 years old if you really believe what you wrote.

You must not have a true grasp of what the job hunt is like out there. While there are some individuals that take advantage of the situation and overstay welcomes, there are others out there doing all they can to find a job and save up. Rent is high and jobs are scarce. It's not easy for new grads.

I agree with 36, people need to grow up, move out and take responsibility for themselves. Trouble finding a job? Keep looking, learn new skills. Who would want to hire a 25year old that lives with their mum!

@67, You got to be kidding. My brother lives at home and he is 25 years old. The reason he lives here is, because he wants to save money and buy a home. It's easier, cheaper and he will have his own home when he moves out. That doesn't mean that he can't pull his own weight. He pays half the rent of our house. You do realise that this alot smarter than moving out to a rental place with no backup money for an emergency. There all kind of reasons why people decided to stay at home. I'm 22 and I still live at home, becaue its cheaper and, because I'm still studying. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure that my future boss won't ask me if i still live at home. it's not his business.

I wish I didn't move out at 17; if I had parents or any family I could live with I would. I'd be saving so much money. The only way someone is a failure is if they're not in school, not working or not spending 40+ hours a week looking for a job. OP pay your rent, bring people over whenever you want and start looking for a new place.

I moved out at the age of 19 to a different state. I lived quite comfortably there for over a year and then had a really bad car accident that left me out of work for over three months. Because of that accident I had to move back home at the age of 21 and I'm still saving up to move back out. I help out with the bills and groceries and baby sitting my 8 year old brother. I'm thrilled my parents let me move back in because I know I would be homeless right now if they didn't.

In the name of all that is holy, stop saying darling.

Really? Lol. You must have not tried to apply for a job in these recent years, but it's not easy to move out when you work minimum wage in retail or fast food and afford to pay rent and all your necessities. How are we supposed to get 'more skills' without getting a job or paying for more schooling? Especially in these years, you can't easily grab up a job. Everybody needs one and there's not many to give away. How about you get informed about the world? About money and prices and jobs.

if it wasn't in the contract, sue your landlord, you have the freedom to do whatever you want, if I was you, OP, I'd move out..

Ammi 7

YDI if that was in your contract and you a) signed it anyway or b) didn't read it first. If it wasn't in your contract, unless you're committing noise violations or something, they legally can't control who comes over or when.

TheVirtuoso 5

I'm sure your landlords would love meeting Bubblegum-Lips. Don't let them talk too long though, you only have her for an hour.

If this is in the contract, you're an idiot for not reading it more thoroughly. If it's not in the contract, and they have no legal standing for this position, tell them to go **** themselves.

Sounds like your mother probably called the landlords heh lol

Did they tell you this before or after you signed the lease? Get it if you can and get your first/last months' rent back if possible.