Thanks, I hate it

By Anonymous - 05/08/2009 02:34 - United States

Today, I received a $250 ticket when I parked my car, that has the disabled placard, in a handicapped spot at a Wal-Mart. The officer said she watched me get out of the car and walk to store without appearing to be disabled. I'm 59 years old, have a steel rod in my spine and a prosthetic hip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 294
You deserved it 3 345

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who is it for her to decide if you're disabled or not? Wow. I hate people like that. Of course not all handicaps are always going to be noticeable.

Conkers 0

I'm pretty sure you can definately appeal against that. People with mental disabilities can get the cards and you cannot physically look at them to see if they're disabled.

Comments

It's not just the fine - now this person has to go to court, bring the documentation that they had their tag at the time, etc. The only good that might come of this is that the officer gets a slap on the wrist. As much as there are people who do things like borrow a disabled relative's vehicle and use their placard, and that's technically illegal, there's nothing that the police can do about it unless someone reports them.

bittersweets 2

Should be easy for you to prove who is right here

letitbe56 0

So explain your story and you won't have to pay. Geez.

As a side note, you were otherwise having a good day.

You do realize you can appeal that traffic violation in court? And Win?

I had a similar thing happen...not a cop but I was in an auto accident and got a temporary placard and got yelled at for using it...even though I LOOKED fine I had pain walking, and I still do yet have no placard...stupid doctor...

Yeah, but why should he have to waste his time doing that when he did nothing wrong in the first place?

well of course he can contest the ticket and win. but it's still frustrating and a pain in the ass.

I think you should be happy that you don't look disabled; the cop is an ass however.