Thanks, I hate it

By Anonymous - 05/08/2009 02:34 - United States

Today, I received a $250 ticket when I parked my car, that has the disabled placard, in a handicapped spot at a Wal-Mart. The officer said she watched me get out of the car and walk to store without appearing to be disabled. I'm 59 years old, have a steel rod in my spine and a prosthetic hip. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 294
You deserved it 3 345

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Who is it for her to decide if you're disabled or not? Wow. I hate people like that. Of course not all handicaps are always going to be noticeable.

Conkers 0

I'm pretty sure you can definately appeal against that. People with mental disabilities can get the cards and you cannot physically look at them to see if they're disabled.

Comments

Why is the cop an ass. If he doesn't look disabled that's what he's supposed to do. He's just protecting the interest of disabled people like the OP, he should be grateful.

Stiggy626 25

except for the fact they have a handicapped tag.... disabilities don't have to be in the outside

Xdanicat 0

Well, report her. It shouldn't even matter that you don't appear to be handicapped. As long as you have the permit, police shouldn't stick their nose in your business. She's either really stupid, or needs a paycheck badly.

Bull. There's some people who have a disability such as lung disease that means they can walk fine for short periods, but longer periods of exertion leave them gasping for air. They may carry a small oxygen canister invisibly in their purse, handbag, or back pack -- for the sake of their own dignity -- and appearances don't matter when it comes to disability. Severe PTSD or severe agoraphobia might also be counted as disabilities, and yet there would be nothing physically wrong with a person save a pressing, suffocating need to leave a large, open public area immediately. Your imagination is running wild, and you need a foot up your ass to correct it.

Yep...I don't believe this for a second, sorry.

this cop was an ass but not all of them are. I no some cops and they are great people that care about helping and protecting people. this cop should not be out there making all of the other cops look bad. she should not be a cop.

Sonfang 19

What that a cop would watch a person in a car wreck or that a cop would give a person a ticket saying that they are not really disabled? Aww you probably still believe in Santa too, so innocent. :)

Cop is an ass because he made an assumption. He could have easily just talked to the man as he was entering or exiting, rather than ticketing him and then describing it.

#32 I second your comment, and the way you worded it by the end, especially. XD

Society is narrow-minded. Bravo to you for overcoming your limitations to the point where nobody can tell!

I once read an article about a woman who was deathly allergic to cold and had a permit for handicapped spaces so she wouldn't be exposed for very long. Otherwise, she looked like a completely healthy young woman. Appearances are deceiving.

Just plead not guilty on the ticket and go to court. You won't have to spend any money. It's not a big deal...

sydsayslol 0

i heard about that to. and how people where rude to her because she didnt LOOk handicapped.

There's some FMLs where I encourage people to sue, sue, sue. This is one of them. Even if you go to court, you still stand a chance of losing money. It's a simple matter to put the screws to the city by claiming emotional damages, and there's a legitimate case for it -- it's cruel and disgusting for an able-bodied person to tell a handicapped person there's nothing wrong with them. Consult with a lawyer, and make the city's insurance premiums go up and have every cop know they're taking sensitivity training because of Officer X. Good times.

Sonfang 19

Sorry man that this happened, my friend was recently in an accident on a rainy day where she totaled her car because of the person in front of her hit a18wheeler tire and it flew up and she spun out if control and BOTH airbags deployed. One cop stopped and asked if she was ok and then drove off and the other sat in his car while she was trapped in her car while smoke and air bag dust filled the car...cops are worthless! Not all but alot of them. So go to court and fight it i know it's a pain...but we all deal with them.

Being a prosthetic user myself, I would know how freakin hard it is to use it. A prosthetic hip is probably the hardest to use, because the doctor has to ******* jab the plastic into you. Please shut the hell up before you criticize someone being "healthy".

picesgurl 0

#43- My mom has NO LEFT LEG and is missing half of her foot on the right side but when she walks you can't tell- should she not get a handicapped spot too? You prob think that the "pregnant mom parking" in front of the maternity ward and babies r us and the "parent with little kid parking" in front of toy stores shouldn't be there either do you? WTF is wrong with you! You should be ashamed with yourself. God forbid you have a problem that needs you to be in a handicapped spot I hope you get criticized every FREAKING time for it! You suck 43. FYL! FYL indeed

Twant and picesgurl, Both of you, go **** yourselves! If medical science has made it such that you can walk normally, you need to give back the placard. If you are really determined to continue the fraud, at least make faces like you're wincing in pain, so that us able-bodied people can think that you are not a cheat. No one DESERVES the best parking spots, it's just that we in society have come together and decided to grant special privileges to "the handicapped." The only way any arrangement like this is if everyone is honest in how handicapped they are. People who can walk apparently normally are actually hurting the truly handicapped. First, by stealing their spaces and secondly, by making the rest of society decide that this privilege is being so thoroughly abused that it ought to be revoked. I have a minor handicap myself, but I would be ashamed to exploit it. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves and your cheating family.

@43 You are such an idiot. Procedures don't "fix you" they usually just try to stop progression. My mother is a 20yr US ARMY Veteran and, from an injury, now has a degenerative disk disease and has had four of her vertebrae in her neck and back fused. She still has severe pain and can barely get out of bed in the morning. Stop being douches over things you don't understand. Sometimes she walks fine and you would never be able to tell. Most people are pissed just because they can have the easy parking, but they don't have to deal with injuries and pain that granted them the privilege. So you can go **** YOURSELF.

You're the idiot. On the days she walks fine, she ought to forgo the handicapped spot and park in a normal one. On days she is having trouble, she should use the handicapped spot. Is that so difficult, genius? Society has given your mom a privilege (and it doesn't matter whether she became handicapped through service to her country or from her driving drunk), and she would be wise and honest NOT to abuse it.

Ahh, Plexico... Calm down... You know, body part replacements dont necessarily fix things, they make it easier. But you dont know if they might cause a person pain to move or stiffness that makes it difficult to walk. So, close parking spots are way less stress on those parts. They arent being lazy of taking advantage of anyone, they are just trying to do whats best for their body. If you have a problem with it, dont do it. But dont freak out at others because you dont know the circumstances behind them and they dont have to explain anything to you.

Plexico, It's fine to believe that if you can do the walking, you shouldn't use the placard, but you don't have to be such an asshole about it. I have neuropathy on the bottoms of my feet, causing great pains in my feet at all times. I am currently on medication to control it, but I will still have pains when I walk an excessive distance. I am technically disabled, but I do not have a placard for that, even though I am still occasionally in pain just from walking a mile. However, its different for my girlfriend. A complication from her chemotherapy treatments cause the tissue near her hips to slowly die out and then cause the bones to rub up against each other. She recently had both hips replaced, and though she is technically "fixed", she still can't walk far distances and needs her placard. The need of a placard is on a case by case basis. Do not judge what a person needs or may not needs by your personal experience because it doesn't always translate to others.

flyingtoasters and foilking, All I am saying is that people really need to be honest when using such a privilege. Just because you have a placard, it is not right to use it when you don't really need it. Keep in mind that taking a handicapped spot on a "good day" not only pisses off the able-bodied assholes like me, but you are really screwing the truly handicapped. As far as being an asshole or out-of-control angry is concerned, that's just an act to get some attention here at FMyLife. Polite comments usually get no response.

I agree a little bit Plexico. If they are having a good day, then parking a little further away would be the polite thing to do, but there is still no reason to judge. And I dont think anyones going to change their mind because you decided to be a jackass. :P I wish that stores in bigger cities had more spaces for the handicapped since they are obviously needed. That would be the nice solution dont you think? That way people with varying handicaps could have more spaces. :)

from your use of "we," i'll assume you're a pig... let me clarify something here: As a pig, you can magically determine who is "not disabled enough" by watching them walk away from their car and leave them a "very nice ticket and fine waiting for [them] when [they] return to [their] car" without simply confronting them??? That sounds like bullshit. Also, in this case, to whom would you write the ticket? The person in whose name the vehicle is registered? or the person you've divined is actually inside the store?

Good to see you again, flyingtoasters, it's been awhile. It would be nice if they had EXACTLY the right number of handicapped spots. I know a few places that have way too many spots. It's frustrating because most of the spots are invariably empty and everyone else is forced to compete for too few spots. I have seen news reports about outright frauds using these placards, so when you see someone pop out of a car and zip away, you just think that you're seeing yet another one. People who have the placards and are not always severely and obviously disabled need to use their privilege with a bit of humility and common sense. You don't want your cavalier use of the designated spots to ruin it for the permanently disabled and you on your bad days. By the way, flyingtoasters, is your nickname from the old screen saver on the Mac. I loved that thing!

Oh boohoo, is walking a few extra feet really that much of an issue to you? Get off your ******* high horse and suck it up.

I don't completely agree with that simply because I'm a woman and that sounds so sexist. But, at the same time every female cop I've met has been a complete bitch. I was in the car with my boyfriends mom and we were waiting to turn into a neighborhood on two lane street. A spot opened up and she turned. I know for a fact the guy didn't break because I was watching him, he had a goofy smile and was singing. Yet she said he did and gave her a ticket for a dangerous left hand turn. Bitch was waiting for it.

You need to do to the old "walk a mile in their shoes". My mom had bladder surgery. She was in pain for months, but it wasn't constant pain, she would wake up feeling somewhat ok and throughout the day it would get worse as she moved. When I would take her to get groceries (yes she did leave the house, instead of sitting inside for 3-4 months) she would get out of the car ok but after about 15-20 mins she would be hurting and hobble back to the car. So my question to you is, what criteria would my mom fit in based on your comment: "The standard for those prime parking spots should be severe, obvious and CURRENT disability. You got the tag when you were indeed disabled, but once you can walk normally, you were no better than the lying, cheating scumbags who pay off some quack doctor to issue a placard to a healthy person."? Who decides how 'severe' or 'obvious' the disability is? My understanding is that the Doctor decides, but it sounds like for you, you decide.

Thanks for noticing Plexico! :) No one else gets it... I miss those toasters flying across the screen... ha ha! I agree that people shouldnt take the easy way out but it does happen. I had my appendix out and it really hurt to even walk but I sucked it up (wasnt driving since the pain meds said not to do so) and walked the additional distance. Alas, not everyone is as cool as us Plexico.

Sonfang 19

First off go DIAF! Secondly my grandfather has had 3 knee replacements and because if the equipment they used he got a staph infection on the first two and had blood blood clots they couldn't fix! Now he can walk with a walker and not very well it long at that, and my grandmother (who is handicapped from the rod in her leg and the disc in her spine) doesn't drive so he has handicap plates (which moron are not issued by the doctors office and you have to re apply if you have the window tag!) which enable him and my grandmother to park a bit closer to the stores as to save them a few painful steps!!! God you're a dickweed! And you are sucha ******* troll it's not even funny, you're probably the one on the gold card and have 6 or 7 kids with different dads sucking down ssi so people have to pay more taxes!!!! ******* drain on the economy!

Sonfang, you are an illiterate ass! It IS your grandparents who deserve the spots! How would you like it if there were no spots left because some guy who had a successful hip replacement kept his placard long after he recovered?

OMG PLEXICO YOU'RE AN UTTER ASS. I HOPE SOMEONE CUTS YOUR LEGS OFF AND MAKES YOU EAT THEM. *Ahem* and now that I have your attention... I get what you're saying. HOWEVER... I'll restate what I wrote in another comment: just because you're having a "good day" when you leave the house does NOT mean you can count on feeling the same way later. "Having a good 15 minutes" is a better way to look at it, in some cases. I don't have a sticker, but it's very common for me to be able to walk into a store from the parking lot, then need my husband to pull the car up to the doors when we leave. Long-term pain/disabilities are not always as predictable as you seem to think. And sufferers who can still drive (not me) should not have to choose between staying home, because they can't count on a quick exit if they go downhill, and losing what independence they have. And please don't say "Well I might fall down and break my leg in WalMart, so I should have a space too!" Chances are much higher that someone whose condition merits a placard will need a quick out.       

russianspy1234 11

actually no, many people like to borrow the cards of friends/family members in order to steal spots away from people who actually need them, and the ticket for doing so is actually a lot more than $250, and can include jail time.

If there is a reasonable chance that you will have trouble walking, by all means, use the spot. My impression was that the OP's condition was rather stable and he would be able to walk normally for a reasonably long time. I hope you always can walk without pain, but if you do use your spot, I'd suggest that you "fake it" and act like you are having difficulty when you are leaving and coming back to your car. ;)

flyingtoasters #155, It was from After Dark and I found that you can get a free version (a copy, not the real deal) at http://uneasysilence.com/toast/ It looked OK, but I don't know if it will live up to your standards. Enjoy.

skullbuster 0

Ok - I am not going to mount up my high horse right now and deliver a bunch of righteous indignation around malingers and their ongoing use of handicap placards (but plexico is spot-on here) so we can skip that round. What I am going to call out is directed to SONFANG. Go "DIAF"? I didn't realize we were adding 'die in a fire' to the texting shorthand. You can go take your grandpa's walker and shove it up your ******* ass you miserable asshole. Wishing harm to someone for providing a comment, you are worst than Hitler you cuntrag!!!

The 300 character limit strikes again, I guess. I assumed (because it fits my own experiences) that the OP wouldn't use a handicapped space if he didn't have a need to. People who do suffer tend to naturally have more sympathy/empathy for fellow sufferers, unless of course they've allowed bitterness and selfishness take over. And you're right, sometimes it's easier to fake it, but the point is we shouldn't have to just to avoid a fine. When I'm having a good day, or a good 15 minutes even, the very last thing I want to spend precious energy on is faking it. I just want to pretend I'm "normal" for a bit. But... John Q. Public can be a real ********, and I'm always going to be judged on my exterior to some extent. So my choices are to fake it or ignore what people think. I get and accept that, and choose to ignore. But getting financially penalized for not looking ill crosses the line. The cop had a right to question the OP, but not a right to assume he was faking. Unfortunately, I always have pain when I walk : / I just didn't get a sticker because my husband has to drive me around and so I have the option of being dropped off and picked up at the door. And I'm not quite ready personally to deal with the public's attitude toward my illness. The law and a person may treat us well; people in general, not so much.

Thanks sweetie! :) I actually mean it in a nice way this time! (I might have just gotten back from the bar... ha ha!)

Sonfang 19

Honestly? How old are you? **** rag huh? Hrmmm ok sorry but DIAF is something I use for basically STFU or what ever, you don't know me. And to call out someone personally and insult them is childish. And no not worsethan Hitler actually I'm very tolerant of all morons including your self. And plexico I believe it was; ummm place cards have exp dates. So if he has one it's because he needs one. DUH! And everyone else I am just as entitled to my opinion as yall are to yours. Thank you for all your loving comments. =^_^=

lol. I love how you were such a dick, and them edited the comment while I was replying to it. I hope you end up with a rod in your spine.

laurock_fml 0

so agree with this. Cops do not care about anything, but they damn care when other cops are teasing them. So go make a huge deal and get the supervisors to have to watch him apologize ot you in person and in writing with a notary. Make that bitch pay with the sensitivity training. And request unpaid leave while he takes the longest course you can find in the state!

lyndsay_fml 0

what an ass. that is incredibly unfair!!

This is fake! If you look at his older posts he uses both man and woman. But like almost every FML is fake and made up.