Thanks, I hate it!

By thebabysitter - 14/08/2009 07:34 - United States

Today, I just got done watching my cousin's two kids for four days while they were on vacation. I fed, clothed, and bathed them for four days of hell and got paid with a $5 shark tooth necklace from the Bahamas. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 992
You deserved it 5 351

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just because you're family doesn't mean they can **** you like that. They had the money for the Bahamas, so they have the money to pay you for your work.

You mean you agreed to babysit for free (or without discussing payment), and they brought back a sharktooth necklace from the giftshop ?? I seriously doubt the souvenir was a form of payment, but perhaps next time you discuss payment ahead of time? Family usually screws you over more than strangers.

Comments

monnanon 13

Hmm usually family do not pay for things like that. Think of it this way next time you need a big favour you know exactly who to go to for it :)

YDI for not setting up payment before they left.

sublime93 0

YDI for probably not setting up an agreement beforehand

Lolbrittany 0

i want a sweet shark tooth necklace 0: ! if you're going to be ungrateful, mail it to me. :U I'll wear it with pride for you.

Dude, selfish!? If my FAMILY ask me to do something, I never assume or expect that they're going to give me any form of payment for it. Sure if they want to give me a couple of beers or something I won't turn them down, but really to expect payment is a bit gash.

NobodyUKnow 0

Are you ******* serious? Who wants to watch someones bratty ass kids for 4 days and not get some type of compensation for it other than a ******* sharktooth necklace?

Well when I need a favour from family/close friends, I don't want them turning to me and saying 'What's it worth?' or telling me to **** off because I never helped them unless there was something in it for me. You reap what you sew.

haha don't make this a US thing... plenty of people on here said they wouldn't expect payment and are also from the US. I think a lot of it depends on how close you are to your family.

Coffee just came out of my nose when I read your last sentence. Probably far too subtle for most readers...

What the ****? ... #40 was meant to be in reply to Plexico's comment, which I can't even see anymore... FML breaks again

Like someone said, OP was being the sole care provider for the children. He SHOULD get something back. There's a difference between just babysitting and inviting someone's kids into your home to live there for four days. Maybe one day, maybe two, it can be done for free, but four? Even my aunts got some sort of compensation when I stayed with them for lengthy periods of time. Cousins have no real obligation to each other, unless they were super best buds forever as children, but still... But of course, if OP didn't say anything about any kind of compensation, he can't really complain.

Nooo! They can't delete a comment by Plexico the Great! Ö

Nonamerequired and simplesimon, I will repeat my comment that has mysteriously disappeared. It means a lot to me that you enjoy them so much. FMyLife.com ought to have a category for "Underpaid Babysitters," so I could avoid going to it. The stories are so ******* boring that they might kill my dog.

amjbic 0

i have watched my cousins tons of times and never got paid. when it's family, it's different. not an FML at all.

LadyLovely08 0

Think of it as a chance to bond with your little cousins... Priceless. And next time know the deal beforehand. If you want payment always work that out in advance. Usually though families deal in favours. So they owe you one.

You should of talked about payments in advance. My sister babysits my little cousins all the time and gets payed. 4 Days? I would of said something.

HellBorn 0

1> Previous commenters are right, you shouldn't expect to get paid if you're doing this for family. 2> If you did expect to get paid, you should have worked those details out BEFORE you babysat for four days of hell. Either way, YDI!