Orwellian nightmare

By anonymous - 24/10/2014 13:47 - Austria - Vienna

Today, while reading "1984" on the train, a cute guy around my age and I got into a great a discussion about the book. Just when I thought he might ask for my number, he got up, patted me on the head and said it's so nice that kids my age still took interest in real literature. I'm 25. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 187
You deserved it 3 290

Same thing different taste

Top comments

milky2321 14
CallMeWindSock 24

Maybe he really did find you attractive but didn't wanna seem like a pedophile since he thought you were younger.

Comments

milky2321 14

I know that life. I got people asking me if I just got into university. I graduated uni 2years ago. Babyface life has its perks though;)

Take it as a compliment, op. You have excellent genes!

badmandilon 19

He might be older of how he looks.

Maybe he thought you were his age and simultaneously 14. Doublethink.

CallMeWindSock 24

Maybe he really did find you attractive but didn't wanna seem like a pedophile since he thought you were younger.

lexiieeex3 32

But the guys said "kids MY age..." Wouldn't that mean he thought she was also the same age as him (around 25) and not younger?

Nm I misread it thinking the guy said it. It was never quoted by him. My bad.

I think the OP was referring to herself. I don't think it was direct quotes from the guy.

killerdana 19

#61, I read it that way at first too and was really confused.

RandomUsername88 24

Adults are just kids at heart!!

Kind of ironic that he judges a book by his cover.

isn't irony using a word or phrase against it's literal definition? btw that's not intended to be douche-esque, it's a serious question.

There are multiple types of irony, but yes, that's one type. I don't see any irony in the FML though, I'm not sure if I'm missing something or PP is misusing the word.

PrincessesCrown 17

Yes, there are multiple forms of irony. There's verbal irony (which I believe is what you are think of #104) dramatic irony, and situational irony. I believe this is a case of situational irony which "involves a discrepancy between what is expected to happen and what actually happens." This is because you would expect the guy who is into literature not to judge a book by its cover, yet he is clearly judging OP's age by her appearance.

at least he thinks u look young.. take it as a compliment!

Looking like a minor at 25 isn't really a good thing...

But when she's 80 years old and can pass of as a 60 year old, it will kind of pay off.

People say that a lot but I really don't think it works that way, haha. She'll get wrinkles just like everybody else and you'll be able to tell she's 80. It also doesn't seem like so much of a benefit to look younger than you are. People put way too much emphasis on that.

It does work that way. At 25 you start showing signs of aging because of what you've done and how you've treated your skin. If you continue on the path of taking care of your skin, at 80 you'll have less wrinkles and age spots than most people your age. I'm 26 and servers at bars still think I'm under 18. It's because I've stayed out of the sun and been diligent with sunscreen. There are people my age that look 40 already. It's maybe not an important thing if you don't put value into your appearance, but usually people do.

As a 25 year old that is mistaked between the ages 16-18 it really sucks. Try finding someone your own age that way.. Or getting into a rated R movie.

Try getting dirty looks in the stores by people because they think your skipping school. I had a lady come up to me once telling me it's not good to skip school. Should have seen the look on her face when I said I was almost 18 and had graduated High School already. She mistakened me for a 12 year old.

I once had a lady scold me for having a daughter at such a young age. Yes, I was young at 20 but she was under the impression that I was in middle school or something.

Mistaked*. My bad grammar police, i forgot to proof read my comment, but I have now fixed it to appease you all :)

Thats it, i give up! I just can't win :P

simplysarcastics 26

According to some people i've been either fifteen or eighteen for years. They look shocked when I tell them I am no teenager.

ber4fun 23

Well, he is right about that.

Didnt you correct him? Maybe he would have given you his number then?

This may have worked depending on what age he thought she was. If he thought she was around 17 and thought she was hot but knew he couldn't go there than he may be happy to hear how old she is and be interested. But if he thought she was 15 or under then I don't think he's going to want to go there because he thought she looked like a kid and may be completely turned off by that.

You could just say your age, couldn't you?

simplysarcastics 26

She could but if she is really baby faced like me then they still won't believe, and we don't like going through that "yes i am" oh no you aren't. process.

killerdana 19

I also look a lot younger than I am. I still get people asking me what highschool I go to. I'm almost 30!