Orwellian nightmare

By anonymous - 24/10/2014 13:47 - Austria - Vienna

Today, while reading "1984" on the train, a cute guy around my age and I got into a great a discussion about the book. Just when I thought he might ask for my number, he got up, patted me on the head and said it's so nice that kids my age still took interest in real literature. I'm 25. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 187
You deserved it 3 291

Same thing different taste

Top comments

milky2321 14
CallMeWindSock 24

Maybe he really did find you attractive but didn't wanna seem like a pedophile since he thought you were younger.

Comments

...or maybe he just wanted to discuss the book and NOT get your number. clear possibility.

George Orwell , great boot! Way better then animal farm.

Well played. You must be smarter than me. Stupid objective pronouns.

Well, you know what Big Brother says, 'Ignorance is Strength'. :)

I was saying it jokingly. Honestly, I think it's easier for us non native speakers to avoid this kind of mistake :)

Eh. Ignorance is bliss, but I have no excuse. I have been taught it multiple times, however , I don't care that much. I know it was a joke and took it as such. If ignorance was strength, THEN I would be a body builder.

For the record, I was quoting the party slogan from '1984': "War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength".

I'm well aware. Great quote ! I like their re-training incentives.

this is easily the most civilized grammar corrections I've seen on fml. kudos to the both of you lol

They were different books on different topics. True, they were both dystopian novels, but Animal Farm was a groundbreaking book and the basis for a lot of parallelisms used in language to this day. Everyone should read it, IMO Animal Farm carries more meaning now than it ever has.

ostfaiz 18

you were having like interests..wish to hear from you about your second encounter

simplysarcastics 26

#15 may have grown up in a country that is not America, and speaks and or writes different. I have a Spanish friend from Spain and my messages to her she understands because we get that our languages are different and nor every one can write the way we learned.

I don't see how these sentences aren't correct? like interests is equal to the same, and hopes they meet again. unless I'm completely missing something

Bandking 12

Mad props for 1984. Great book

I'm reading that book for English right now...its great and reading is so fun but people usually say I'm stupid for reading.

They say you're stupid for reading? that's kinda ironic.

LostInTheZone11 29

Ah, 1984. I hated that book. It's not bad writing, it's Orwell building up a potentially exciting climax, only for him to make you feel like you get kicked in the nuts at the end.

I think that was kind of the point. You don't get happy endings in dystopian literature - it's a dire warning, not a how-to manual.

That was exactly the point of the book. Freedoms given up in the name of peace and security are not easily obtained again. An anticlimactic book with absolutely no point is Catcher in the Rye. Never understood it. The book pissed me off.

Gaernem 17

Why didn't you just ask for his number?

Since he thought she was a little kid, I don't think that would have ended well either.