Medicare for all!

By YoungSmileBones - 15/08/2016 18:29 - United States - Lake Havasu City

Today, I'm so broke that I'm thinking about using a glass of whiskey and a pair of pliers to pull out my broken wisdom teeth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 049
You deserved it 1 332

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That would end up being way more expensive as you would battle infections or or other injuries caused by the extraction.

jentrynicole 20

Please go see a professional. They are a professional for a reason and while it may be expensive now it will save you a lot of expenses later if you do it yourself or delay your treatment.

Comments

The first FML that I can really relate to.

A lot of general dentists refer wisdom teeth extractions to oral surgeons because of the difficulty. Especially if they take x-rays and see that there could be trouble based on how the roots look. If your roots are sitting near the inferior alveolar nerve, the nerve can be damaged when the tooth is taken out and you will never have feeling in your lip or tongue again. On top, if the roots are near your maxillary sinus, you can get a hole in the bottom of the socket that leaves your sinus open to your mouth, giving you constant recurring sinus infections if it isn't closed properly. If the roots are curved, you can break your jaw bone if you put too much force on them. If the roots break when you're trying to get them out and you leave pieces in there, they will get infected, which is painful and could kill you. These are complications that dentists and surgeons know how to avoid and manage, so unless you have an x-ray machine at home and know how to diagnose and deal with these things (ie, have been to dental school), don't try practicing dentistry on yourself. It will cost you way more in the long run to fix a botched surgery.

Yes, you should absolutely go see a professional. There are a number of resources that are available for reduced cost dentistry. However, what the majority of other people telling you to suck it up and go find such aid either don't know or aren't saying is that it takes a lot of time and effort. Most dentistry schools have long waiting lists of people wanting free dental care, and finding reduced cost care is stupidly hard. Plus a lot of places that claim to do reduced cost simply don't. I suggest going ahead and getting yourself placed on the dental school waiting list (a tedious process, as well - at least in my area). Try looking for low cost dental insurance - Obamacare may be blasted, but it got my broke self insurance. It may also be possible to wait it out. Before I met her, a friend of mine basically had to let her wisdom teeth rot out of her head. She all but lived on ibuprofen for a year, but it worked. It should be noted that she kept her mouth exceptionally clean, kept that area free of food, rinsed her mouth several times a day with hydrogen peroxide (whiskey would do fine for germ killing, but not beer), and suffered a great deal. I don't exactly suggest trying that, but it is cheap, and you won't kill yourself via pliers. The pliers are a BAD IDEA. Especially if these are upper teeth - those can be connected to the sinuses, and if you open that channel without proper medical care... You don't want to do that. There are tons of nerves in the area, risk of dry socket, risk of breaking the jaw... So, please, OP, don't perform crude surgery on yourself.

Normally you have to see an oral surgeon for wisdom teeth extraction. You can not do the same thing as a surgeon with just pliers. Please go see a professional before you hurt yourself or completely mess up your mouth and jaw.

ViviMage 38

Use your work's dental plan, or reach out to a dental school/sliding scale dentist if you don't have a dental plan. I had an impacted wisdom tooth and it needed surgery to break it into 8 pieces and yank out. It was BIG. The ex brother-in-law didn't have coverage, left the roots in, they got infected, abscessed, it got to his lungs and nearly died of sepsis. Trust me, don't try it.

From my brief experience as a dental assistant, PLEASE don't do this. First of all pliers aren't clean and no matter how much "disinfecting" you think you can do at home it's nowhere near to how clean it needs to be. Second of all it's going to hurt horribly without some type of numbing agent. You have to get all of the pieces of the tooth and roots or else you can risk causing an infection and a dentist will just have to go back in and dig out the pieces. Also there's more than just "pulling the tooth" when removing teeth. You have to loosen the ligaments the are attached to the teeth first which require special instruments. All around just don't do it.

I got my wisdom teeth pulled 2 years ago, didn't pay a cent. God I love living in Canada

ducky10290 8

Don't do it. A professional cracked my jaw pulling one of my teeth. Trying to do it yourself with result in breaking the tooth more or worse! You could even break or dislocate your jaw.

That's not worth it. See a professional. Infections will cost you more, and you don't wanna go through shock either, which can happen trying to do that by yourself.

Life in America! People from countries with social health care don't get it. But seriously you're going to get an abscess and end up in the ER if you don't see a dentist asap.