Manoeuvres in the dark

By Anonymous - 12/12/2009 21:13 - Canada

Today, I had to perform with my orchestra at an event. I hadn't eaten at all because I had to get my blood sugar tested. During the middle of a song, I passed out. No one helped me and no one stopped playing, "because the song wasn't over and they didn't want to ruin the performance." FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 705
You deserved it 6 266

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I´m a very dedicated performer, and have a bit of experience even though I´m still in school. I would stop a performance if someone onstage were to pass out, because you don´t always know why the person is passing out. I´d rather have a ruined performance than a harmed or even dead peer.

Yeah, but it's not that original. When I was in HS marching band, we performed in wool jackets in Florida. It happened more than once. Nobody stopped, because the band director was evil and would have given us probably 10 laps for stopping. I got 30 pushups for telling the girl in front of me to get back to where she was supposed to be and stop stepping on my feet.

Comments

Sucks, but the audience isn't there to see you. If your life isn't in danger, they're not going to disrupt the performance because you had the bad judgement to schedule your blood test for the same day.

But how are they to know whether he is or isn't in any danger without checking. Loss of consciousness can be caused by a lot more than just low blood sugar, not to mention he could have injured himself on his instrument, stand, or other implement of the show. However, I do agree that once the situation is assessed that the show should resume. I've been to many shows where unexpected intermissions were called and it didn't bother me in the slightest.

You never know if someone's passing out or if their life is really in danger. I'd ragequit the orchestra if I were you. If it had been really grave, you could have sued the director.

I would suggest the person sitting immediately beside the fainted person should stop to make sure they're not dying or anything, but not the entire orchestra.

Why should they stop the show because you decided to come unprepared? It's not their fault you had a blood test that same day or that you failed to bring a quick snack. You are the one who failed to do what you signed up for. They are not responsible for you. F their Lives for having such an undependable and self centered team mate. 

bexox 0

They make you go the day without eating for those tests.

You usually get blood tested in the a.m., since you have to fast at least 12 hours beforehand. What time was your performance? and why didn't you schedule your appointment before the event? A blood test takes all of 5 minutes, if even that. You could've rescheduled for another day. So I say YDI.

Correction for the idiot who said "The show must go own." The show must go on. You should've warned the director that you hadn't eaten all day. Even though I am pissed at my band director right now and am considering faking sickness the night of performance so I don't have to go, but I would still warn him if I was feeling light-headed or if I was truly sick. I am still going to give you a FYL but also a YDI.

I agree with jillz. It was extremely self-centred of you to do that to them in the first place, and then to post here, looking for sympathy? Shameful! I'm a musician myself, and I know that the performance is more important than you being conscious for a few seconds.

As a performer for a youth orchestra, I understand why they would keep playing. However, as a compassionate human being, I feel sorry for you. I would probably be pretty upset if this happened to me. So, FYL, but I don't entirely blame the other musicians.

You don't eat for ONE DAY and you pass out?

Hardly surprising in someone who apparently has blood sugar issues.

not surprising, given the fact she was probably stressed out over a big performance (and stress causes you to use up more energy).

zach055 23

Why does everyone keep saying she has blood sugar issues? She said she has to get her blood sugar TESTED. I'm perfectly healthy but I still get a blood sugar test once a year, and so does every other human being in a developed country.

If she was playing brass or even woodwind, it would be very hard during a full performance. I play a higher woodwind and I get lightheaded sometimes on a full stomach.

GenevieveL 0

Well I guess you know the results of that test.

conartist66 0

well at least ur kool enough about it to write it on here (kudos, most orchestra people aren't)

shut up. The whole concept that musicians are losers is an old-fashioned stereotype from the 80s. Most of society these days knows better and respects people who can master an instrument. Not to mention most professional musicians have probably, at some stage of their life, been part of an ensemble or orchestra.

brianr09 0

yeah honestly in my high school back last year, the football players and athletes basically looked up to the band for their talent. As a matter of fact my senior year we had a couple football players and cheerleaders switch to marching band and tell us how much harder it actually is than playing football or cheering.