Make your minds up

By Remy - 16/11/2013 23:39 - United States - Portland

Today, I was offered a job that pays far more than I expected, being a high school senior. My parents decided they aren't letting me take the job, saying I should enjoy my childhood. They're also not paying for my college, which is why I was looking for work in the first place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 010
You deserved it 3 099

Same thing different taste

Top comments

michaelaranda 28

sit down with your parents and tell them why its important for you to either get a job, or have them pay for your college. its your education, and it is truly important

Why would any parent STOP their kids from getting jobs? They should be proud of you for thinking ahead and wanting to be responsible. Especially when most kids just want to party and spend their parents money.

Comments

If they are not willing to pay for college, they should butt out. You are preparing for your future and setting you up for massive loans when you are willing to work is just bad parenting. If there's any way you can, take the job regardless. They are in the wrong here. Kudos for being willing to work.

after seeing that all the sensible and reasonable arguments and suggestions have already been made and would be logical for a parent to actually be proud of their kid in this situation my only thought is you were going to be either making more then them or they are simply uber afraid of you possibly leaving before they're ready.

Do it anyways, don't listen to them. Your technically almost an adult.

luckyone365 7

Tell them to **** off and just take the job anyway.

Your parents don't logic very well, do they?

Sathane 21

High school senior and your parents aren't "letting" you take a job? Time to act like an adult, take the job, and move out.

Take the job anyway! I'm sure you'll make it all work for you. Fingers crossed :)

Yeah nobodys parents are paying for their college get used to it

no, a lot of parents at least help. My parents put aside money for me as a little kid that covers most of it. And i plan to do the same for my kids in the future. parents do not HAVE to pay, and sometimes there is a really good reason that they can't help

Actually a lot of parents do at least try to help however they can. But aside from that, if ops parents already said they aren't going to pay or even help pay they really have no right to tell op she can't get a job.

I say take the job anyway. Its just about impossible to go to college without then paying or cosigning anyway.