Make your minds up

By Remy - 16/11/2013 23:39 - United States - Portland

Today, I was offered a job that pays far more than I expected, being a high school senior. My parents decided they aren't letting me take the job, saying I should enjoy my childhood. They're also not paying for my college, which is why I was looking for work in the first place. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 010
You deserved it 3 099

Same thing different taste

Top comments

michaelaranda 28

sit down with your parents and tell them why its important for you to either get a job, or have them pay for your college. its your education, and it is truly important

Why would any parent STOP their kids from getting jobs? They should be proud of you for thinking ahead and wanting to be responsible. Especially when most kids just want to party and spend their parents money.

Comments

devans00 14

Time to be an adult. That means taking a stand for what's important to you. Your parents may fight, because they aren't ready for you to grow up. But you have to get on with your life.

Your parents sound like bad and they should feel bad. (Concerning your plans of course, i don't say they are whole lot of bad.)

YeaSo3 14

Your patents can't stop you from taking a job that's crazy and stupid. .. take the job forget them this "childhood" they're talking about is over your what 18...bye parents smh

Take the job anyway as long as your still futhering your education.

Yunadori 13

I had a similar situation with me. My father told me at the beginning of my senior year year in high school when I was trying to get financial aid that he was never going to give me his tax information to help me with getting a loan. I didn't have contact with my mother either so I couldn't ask her. As soon as I turned eighteen during the second semester I ditched school to audition for a scholarship to a college two hours away. My father found out and kicked me out. Jokes on him though. It was full ride and I got it.

Yunadori 13

I totally understand your frustration. Talking to my father didn't help, and when I talked to the other family members he actually listens to, he finally caved in to letting me have a 5-9 job. It helped, but it wasn't going to get me very far.

Respect your parents but don't follow their logic. If they are not paying for your college and other miscellaneous things then take the job. Invest into yourself not into their opinions.

Uh, **** them? Take the job and tell them to piss off! :)

the_crow_reborn 9

If you're 18 tell them **** you I'm taking the job because they no longer have any say in what you do if you do something they say it should be out of respect but they have to give respect to get ya know what I mean so take the job bud

Being a HS senior, you should be old enough to legally get a job without parental consent...

I dont know why I keep this app, its funny but I constantly keep losing faith in humanity.