Honesty doesn't pay

By Hayls5 - 04/07/2009 02:19 - United States

Today, I was driving with a friend when we saw a wallet in the middle of his neighborhood road. When we picked it up, we saw it was loaded with cash. We drove to the man's house to return the wallet, and when we handed it to him he told us, "I would give you a reward but I don't have any cash." FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 243
You deserved it 6 024

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If not getting a reward is an FML for you, you truly deserve this one. Whatever happened to human goodness?

Comments

Beven 0

wtf is with all you hypocrites on FML? always talking about karma but then when a post like this comes along you all say he should have stolen the guys money. You did something right, that's a reward itself.

Yeah it sure pays to be nice. They give the guy his wallet back, and the guy turns out to be a total ass. I would of just snatched the wallet back and left the guy with a big **** YOU.

Cinnabar 0

I would definitely have said something, like "You mean you DIDN'T have any cash. There's $(x amount) in that wallet. But if you aren't rewarding us just because you don't want to, that's fine too." You went too far out of your way to be blown off by a lie, the cheap prick could have at least told the truth.

Cinnabar 0

Then again, I guess it's possible that he assumed the cash from the wallet had already been cleaned out, so he didn't even know he had cash still. If I lost my wallet I'd automatically assume my cash was gone, so maybe that's what happened.

I would have definitely taken the money, I honestly don't give a ****. The man was clearly an asshole anyway. Or, when the man said I don't have any cash you should have said your right, you don't, I checked.

freeball 0

You did the right thing. He is an ass.

I don't think its fair to bash the guys for "wanting money." Obviously the guy who lost the wallet broached the subject of a reward and flat out lied. Hypocrites.

KonM4N4Life 0

Technally.. he hadn't had cash until then

Neither. While it wasn't cool that he lied - though, you never know, he might not have cash to spare, the stuff in the wallet could be for something important he needs to buy/pay for - it isn't right that you just expect a reward. Whatever happened to doing good because, you know, it's the right thing to do? The reward should be the good feeling you get for helping another human being.

The number of people who say they would take money out of the wallet make me sad for humanity.

So what, he didn't HAVE to reward you! You did a good deed, you're not supposed to expect anything in return but be grateful when you do get something. Selfish idiot.

JustAndrew79 0

You're aware of how much of a tool you are, right? Being rewarded for a good deed may be a tad shortsighted, but to call him "selfish" is just inaccurate.

I am so sad right now, reading all the above comments, I hate to see how people truely are. Saying they would take money out of the wallet, not even return it, and who are angry that he didn't reward the OP. I hate that we live in a society that thinks that everything they do deserves instant gratification, and that they have the right to be angry and judge others if they are even a little inconvienced. OP. I am so glad you returned that wallet without taking any money from the wallet, and even though he didn't reward you with cash right this second, he will see what a good person you are and maybe there will be an opportunity for him to return the favor someday!