Honesty doesn't pay

By Hayls5 - 04/07/2009 02:19 - United States

Today, I was driving with a friend when we saw a wallet in the middle of his neighborhood road. When we picked it up, we saw it was loaded with cash. We drove to the man's house to return the wallet, and when we handed it to him he told us, "I would give you a reward but I don't have any cash." FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 243
You deserved it 6 024

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If not getting a reward is an FML for you, you truly deserve this one. Whatever happened to human goodness?

Comments

lovesucksxxx 0

lol what a piece of shit.

Lol, I agree with the last 3 comments.

kplusf 0

That's why you take the cash and put his wallet in the mailbox :)

Hey guys, what if that money was money that he needed to pay off some loans or debt or mortgage? And when you do something good, don't expect something in return; you shouldn't feel obligated to expect something unless its a great big deal (such as saving a persons life). Plus, you don't know the circumstances that the man may be facing (perhaps he close to bankrupcy or he may have been laid off recently). So don't assume that the man is lying. He may in fact "not have any money" to spare.

girlygirl666 0

Well, then he should have been more careful with his wallet, huh? If they didn't bring it back, he wouldn't have any of the money at all. Stupid People!

First off, to those who say you should have taken money... not quite. That's theft. Stupidity on someone's behalf is not an excuse to steal from them, no matter how you justify it. If you're okay with exploiting *carelessness*, on the other hand... well. I jest. Anyway, you did 'the right thing', but feeling cheated because of not getting a reward for what you're *supposed* to do...? Sorry. Thoughts just betrayed motive. This is one of those beautiful cases where karma didn't need to 'come around'... it was actually prepared and well-executed on the spot. Sorry darlin', YDI.

the guy said "I'd REWARD YOU, but I don't have any money." He didn't have any money but at the same time this honest gentlemen was handing a wallet LOADED with cash to this man.

How the **** did you know who the wallet belonged to?

This is probably the dumbest comment I've ever read on this website. You know that one's address is printed on their driver's license, which many people keep in their wallet, right?

Don't end the story there. You know that after he said that, he said " just kidding". Then he rewarded you. I hate when people don't tell the whole story because the ending would "ruin" it.

Hayls5 0

Well then you don't have to hate me....thats the end of the story. And i wasn't expecting a reward it was the fact that he lied he should have just said thank you. Alright there's my response to everyone.

mjthegreat53 0

everyone saying that keeping the money is selfish are not seeing it from a different view. By returning the wallet you ARE NOT doing it because its right no matter how much you say you are. You are doing it because it makes YOU feel good, same reason other people(myself included) would take the money, it makes them feel good. SOooo u give back the wallet for the same reason someone else takes the money, to make yourself happy

Yeah, mj, feeling good is the goal either way; but it's WHAT makes you feel good that speaks to your character.