Honesty doesn't pay

By Hayls5 - 04/07/2009 02:19 - United States

Today, I was driving with a friend when we saw a wallet in the middle of his neighborhood road. When we picked it up, we saw it was loaded with cash. We drove to the man's house to return the wallet, and when we handed it to him he told us, "I would give you a reward but I don't have any cash." FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 243
You deserved it 6 024

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If not getting a reward is an FML for you, you truly deserve this one. Whatever happened to human goodness?

Comments

anyone who is dumb enough to lose their wallet doesn't deserve it back sorry to say.

I want you to remember those words the next time you lose something. I also want you to stop looking for whatever it is you lose, since, in your own words, you don't deserve it back. And, if you do find it, or someone else finds it for you, you *better* throw it away since you don't deserve it.

ben26_fml 0

YDI for wanting cash. just do something nice out of the kindness of your heart man

For everyone saying "the FML is the fact that the guy lied" - so what? That in no way at all affects the OP in a negative way, and IF the FML was about a guy lying it would be a very, very lame FML. And #133, nice try at the gift critique, but the problem comes forth when you realize that the "positive feeling" from doing the good doing has to combat with the positive feeling from stealing the money, so it defaults to evaluating whether one feels better over following codes of conduct or through feeling better through materialistic selfishness. Anyone rational prefers the former.

You know it's not mandatory to give a reward for lost items, right? However, if he said he didn't have any cash, you should have reminded him that in order to find out the identity of the wallet's owner, you had to look inside the wallet and happened to notice that he, indeed, had quite a bit of cash.

Whatever happened to doing the right deed just because? You know how the economy is right now. The guy may have had to pay off a bill, or buy food for himself...

i dont know about you guys. but, karma is a bitch. if you take that money, and give back the wallet, and you can look the guy in the face and tell him you found it that way, man watch your back, i personally couldnt look a guy in the face after stealing money from his wallet.

Oh, I thing I got a different idea than everyone else from this? I thought they didn't steal any money, but the man was lying 'cos he didn't want to have to pay them and its funny 'cos they knew how much money was in there? idk...

I wouldve just casually said "Oh, okay, i thought that was your money in this wallet?"

the guy sounds like a douche. he didn't even say thank you? how ungrateful. I had a friend who would intentionally leave her wallet lying around for anyone to take. she simply didn't care. when I asked her would she care if someone stole it, she said "no, I have a whole drawer full of wallets". one day when she got up and left where she was sitting, I found a $10 note on the floor. she didn't even realise she left it. had it been anyone else, I wouldve returned it immediately. but since it was her.. I kept it and treated myself and a friend to a slurpee after school.

I'm sure he was saying he didn't have money to be giving out like that or he is just cheap.