Hardly getting used to it

By Anonymous - 05/02/2016 02:22 - United States - Columbia

Today, I shared with my doctor that I still feel uncomfortable with my medication. She expressed surprise, saying, "Really? By now I would've thought it'd be routine." Sorry, no. In three months, I have not gotten used to sticking a syringe up my butt and injecting my rectum full of medicated foam. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 927
You deserved it 1 781

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ask your doctor to try it for three months and see if she's butt hurt about it.

Comments

I'm curious what affliction op has that can be resolved by medicine up the butt...

Naith 14

Part of me thinks something like an infected anal fissure.

It could be a number of things, for example Ulcerative Colitis. Sometimes analgesics such as morphine or certain antibiotics can be given as suppositories. Also laxatives, but I doubt one would be recommended to be on it for months.

yeah that's what I was wondering. I've heard of cream and things being injected into the anus for anal fissures and things like that but that normally clears up after a week or two, not three months.

Being on a laxative for a long time is not good. It can "train" your colon to need the laxative for every day function. I'm assuming UC as well. OP, hopefully you can find another regime. Humira works wonders if lower dose medicine, such as Pentasa, don't. *I'm kind of an expert in this area.

I have ulcerative colitis and I immediately assumed that's what OP has too because I was prescribed it as a kid. So yeah, I'd say UC as well. Good luck, OP. I hope it helps you enough to at least outweigh the discomfort. :(

I have Crohn's disease and I immediately assumed she has a disease like mine or something similar. people who have IBD (UC, Crohn's, etc) do have to do things like this to get relief. I myself have not done this because I no longer have a colon, but I know people who have had to do it.

*Looks at you surprised* Oh, did you want to try the oral tablets instead?

This actually made me laugh out loud. I can just picture the surprise on the doctors face. Lol.

isnobodyhere 32

Ahh, that doesn't sound pleasant.

dannidoll93 24

How often do you have to do this? To be fair, if it's a long term condition it probably will become routine eventually. Women stuff tampons up themselves for a week every month after all, and that seems pretty weird when you really think about it...

To be fair sometimes things do come out that hole though... The other one biologically is supposed to be for exits. I can see the discomfort.

blissfully_me 16

The ****** is meant to have things inserted into it. The anus is not. Not comparable. Also women don't have to use tampons - there are pads if you're uncomfortable inserting tampons. Sounds like OP doesn't have any other choice.

this happens to be a treatment for chronic constipation

For three months, though? After that long it may be doing more harm than good. I wonder if OP is drinking enough water (not mixed with coffee).

If OP is having this treatment for constipation, I'm pretty sure they've tried all the common cures, such as plain water first.

I hate when people recommend drinking more water for constipation. As if they didn't think to try that themselves.

I don't know why people are so surprised at this, there are quite a few very common issues that can be resolved with medicine up the butt. First of all, hemorrhoids, for which one of the most common cures is foam injected with a syringe (as well as adjusting your diet of course). Maybe this is not a thing in the US but over here there's not that much stigma about butt medicines xD every single child got a suppository up their butt at one point or another, and with prostate/colon exams it's not something THAT uncommon!

Yeah, here we definitely don't do that to children and colon exams aren't needed until your 50. I'm not saying suppositories are bad, they're not not very common here.

Yeah I guessed, over here it's not that uncommon (it's the first thing you think of if a kid is having problems pooping, not the only remedy of course)...and I find hemorrhoids to be a fairly common problem even though no one really talks about it if they get them! :P

bad_boyfriend 10

Do you buy yourself a drink first?

Some doctors have an amazing ability to not put themselves in the position of the patient. I've seen surgeons be surprised that someone is "more than just a bit sore" after major procedures.

I'm built the other way. :) After my last big surgery my doctor wanted me bed ridden for two days. I was up and walking the hospital halls half an hour after waking up (looking for the coffee machine - in my hinie revealing robe).

37, next time I suggest following the doctors orders. They have reasons for telling you to do certain things. Not only could you have torn any stitches by walking around so soon after a big surgery (which can cause internal bleeding for which they would have to put you under again and go back in and fix it), but you can also permanently damage whatever they have fixed and screw up your entire recovery. My grandma for instance had carpal tunnel surgery in her wrist and was told to let it rest for a certain period of time (about 3 weeks I think) she decided to go out and prune the bushes before the 3 week period was over because she felt fine. The next day she woke up and had a huge sore bump on her wrist. Long story short, she has permanently damaged her wrist. The doctors know what they're saying when they tell you to do something, and it's not a matter of you "feeling" good or not, it's about giving things the proper amount of time to fully heal. *rant over*

Sorry to hear about grams. :( I wasn't up and doing the splits, or anything. He already had me getting out of bed to "check my kidneys", on the regular - and the surgery was to my "being laid on area".

legendof90 14