Hardly getting used to it

By Anonymous - 05/02/2016 02:22 - United States - Columbia

Today, I shared with my doctor that I still feel uncomfortable with my medication. She expressed surprise, saying, "Really? By now I would've thought it'd be routine." Sorry, no. In three months, I have not gotten used to sticking a syringe up my butt and injecting my rectum full of medicated foam. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 927
You deserved it 1 781

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ask your doctor to try it for three months and see if she's butt hurt about it.

Comments

I'm scared to ask what this rectal foam is for...

M3DO 24

If DocBastard was here, I'm sure he would have some good advice for you.

It's not an uncommon treatment for a variety of things to use rectal medication. However, if you're still uncomfortable with it after three months it's good you asked for a switch. It's also good that you agreed to try this medication (assuming you had the choice) even if you weren't sure about it at first! I hope you find a better medication that's more comfortable for you, OP.

If MY doctor suggested a "syringe" in my ass injecting "mediated foam" I would seriously want a second opinion!

For some conditions, a suppository is a safe method with lower dosage and fewer side effects than systemic therapy. For example, if you had ulcerative colitis: would you rather have chronic bloody diarrhea and an inflamed ulcerated colon with a risk of cancer or just take an anal suppository medication?

Patient - "Doc, these suppositories taste like shit. Do you have any other flavors?" Doctor - "Wait, you're EATING them?!" Patient - "No, I'm sticking them up my ass. Of course I'm eating them!"

ViviMage 38

My fiancé used to use cortifoam for UC. He doesn't need it anymore. He had a colectomy and J-pouch surgery, and has another med he applies like the foam.

I understand what you're going through. I was diagnosed with UC almost 2 years ago. My doctor prescribed enemas for me too. But I only have to take them when I really feel I need them. So all-in-all its not too bad. They are rather unpleasant to hold in though. That's why I try to do it right before going to sleep so I pass out instead of focusing on the discomfort. My advice is, is that if you're really that uncomfortable with it, see if there's something else that works - maybe there's an oral alternative? Or if your doctor refuses to help you find a solution, find a new doctor. Just my two cents :)

my aunt once had to do that i asked her how it eas she said it was a real pain in the ass having to take it twice a day

My, what a thoughtful and compassionate doctor you have, OP. Not at all the kind of professional who would drive me to seek out a second opinion...