It's all too much

By IHaveThePower - 07/10/2021 23:00 - Canada - Ottawa

Today, I spent all day cleaning for my grandparents to come over, only for my grandfather and father to interrupt me, talk over me, and treat me like I'd done something wrong. I'm autistic and was infodumping. They know this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 958
You deserved it 139

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Mylife 12

I'm also autistic, it's sad how much disrespect we get.

Thanks, guys. It helps to know I'm not alone.

Comments

Mylife 12

I'm also autistic, it's sad how much disrespect we get.

Also autistic here. It's so frustrating that our whole lives are spent being told to conform ourselves to make other people comfortable, only for them to never even think to consider our own feelings. My mom used to do this, cutting me off, talking over me. If what I was saying was boring to her, she tuned out. My dad would listen though. I could tell he was bored, but he was still letting me info dump and even asked questions occasionally. I am sorry your family sucks.

Thanks, guys. It helps to know I'm not alone.

What subject or subjects are you interested in?

For my sins, I'm neurotypical. If you know you're infodumping, you also know that you're giving people more information than they're interested in. For those of us who don't want to be infodumped on, what do you suggest we do? Do you expect us to put up with it, or should we say, "hey, you're infodumping, please stop" or what? I obsess over a few subjects, and could talk on them for hours, but I know not everyone is as fascinated, so I only talk about my obsessions in places where there are like-minded individuals. One of the beauties of internet is that it's now perfectly possible to find plenty of such people.