Gotta get that sweet sweet nicotine

By MCMB33 - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I caught my pregnant wife smoking. This is after I quit over a month ago to show her my support and be a good influence on our child. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 673
You deserved it 3 157

Top comments

Comments

murphy22 6

Just saying since everyone is saying the risks of smoking while pregnant, if you wanna use the risks, present statistics. Anti depressants can cause suicide, tobacco can harm an unborn child. Low birthweight is the most common. Not trying to start a fight but I would say alot of people jumping up an down whining and screaming dont smoke, don't know how hard it is to quit, and just prattle of the stuff they heard in school. You caught your wife with one cigarette. Why not ask her why she felt the urge to smoke instead of post your problems here? Man up buddy.

He knows that - he quit himself. How about she asks him about his feelings when she ***** up their child's life?

This is the first reasonable post I've seen. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth. My mum has been quitting for 25 years now; it hasn't gone well. She struggled with it through her pregnancies. I quit the day after I found out I was pregnant (and started the day after I quit breast feeding). Most mothers don't want to harm their child but they are in the grip of an addiction. Go easy on her, OP. With everything she is struggling through right now, she doesn't need your guilt trip. Good on you for quitting. Don't use this as an excuse to backslide. Talk with her and the doctor about quitting help. Continue being supportive.

Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals, including truly nasty things like cyanide, lead, and at least 60 cancer-causing compounds. When she smokes during pregnancy, that toxic brew gets into her bloodstream, your baby's only source of oxygen and nutrients. Another effing mother of the year candidate.

Clamcreepy 7

Obviously smoking isn't good and while pregnant is worse and i know its an addiction and its hard to stop but if she is going to smoke you should consider getting her those fake electric cigarettes that are on infomercials

tulo26 4

Now that's sad, knowing you have a child on the way should be enough to quit smoking so no harm happens to the baby.

I hope she gets cancer... It may sound a little harsh but I joined a group that is supposed to help make people realize how bad it is to smoke because you can get a hairy tongue. And that is really unattractive

Ok first of all, thats not "a little harsh" that's really rude. You never wish cancer on someone!

desireev 17

99- That was very, incredibly rude! You wishing cancer upon a stressed out, pregnant woman is just terrible! You're also wishing that the child grow up without it's mother. You're, pretty much, wishing death upon someone! Yes, it is wrong to smoke while a woman is pregnant.. But really?! Wishing CANCER on someone? She is stressed out enough as it is! All she needs is someone to support her and help her quit. Smoking cigarettes is a hard thing to quit doing, especially when you find out you're pregnant and you were not ready to quit! You are terrible for saying that! OP, all you can do is support your wife through the quitting process. You need to be there for her! And don't post stuff like this on FML. Think about it! If your wife saw this post, it would embarrass her very badly and stress her so bad she could miscarry. Just be supportive and help your wife and unborn child! It'll be worth it! :)

MCMB33 4

99- That's still my wife and, even though I'm mad, I still love her. Like a hairy tongue is what I'm worried about. Go to hell, idiot.

What a selfish bitch. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Wow, that's a bit selfish. Stop thinking about how you can't smoke and think about how messed up the kid is going to be...

It's not that he can't smoke, it's that she is after he quit for HER. Use your head.

GlitterAngel 8

Sometimes giving up smoking can be such a stress that it CAN be harmful to mother & child. **** up. You don't know the situation at all of this mother to be.

MCMB33 4

I don't? Because I believe I stated that she's my wife.

I think they're talking about others that are commenting.

Wow a smoking pregnant woman. Honestly, nothing pisses me off more than to see a woman smoking/drinking while pregnant. Im not so sure your wife is too concerned with the health of your baby. And it seems like Your "FML" isn't the fact your wife is pregnant and smoking, but that shes not "supporting" you trying to quit. It's kinda selfish to be doing such a thing. You'll make great parents. I hope your baby is ok.

Oops, read the last part wrong** but still you should probably have a sit-down conversation with her about it....