Don't mention it

By PoorGramps - 09/12/2009 07:39 - United States

Today, my greatgrandpa came over for dinner. Halfway through the meal, he pooped himself. My family went through the rest of the meal acting like we hadn't noticed to avoid embarassment. As it was coming to an end, my sister came home and immediately yelled, "Ew! Did someone poop?" He cried. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 452
You deserved it 3 138

Same thing different taste

Top comments

awe poor guy I wish I could give him a hug :(

Aww this is sad. At least you didn't make him cry... Your sister did....

Comments

Why wasn't your sister at family dinner? If you're going to have the entire family get together you'd think you'd schedule it for a time when everyone could make it.

The sister could have been at work or something.. Anyway OP, you're just going to let your GreatGrandpa sit there in his own feces? And how can you all eat in a room that smells like shit?

That was insensitive of your sister. Getting old isn't for sissies. Take better care of grandpa while you still have him.

boatkicker 4

Correct me if you find a particular flaw in my logic. This would be a response to teh majority of the comments on here. 1) Great grandpa is not mentally incapacitated. If he was, embarrassment would have been a lot less of a factor. He would either soon forget, or not care at the time. Since he is not mentally unstable he could very easily have gestured to another family member for help, if necessary, or tapped whoever he was sitting beside on the shoulder and whispered. If he is (physically) capable of eating his own food, and mentally stable, he's also quite able to get SOMEONE's attention somehow. If he said nothing, it is his own fault for sitting there. Maybe he's even capable of cleaning himself up, and didn't because he thought they might notice if he stood up, and preferred to keep that hidden. Maybe he didn't realized other people noticed. 2) Based on the fact that the sister made greatgrandpa cry, he WAS more embarrassed by the attention drawn to it than the accident. Therefore they were right to ignore it. They were not doing it purely for selfish reasons, though that may have been a contributing factor. If he felt it was worse to be sitting in his shit, than he would have cried at that point, as opposed to the later point.

I agree. For everyone saying that OP should have helped him, put yourself in his position. You would be embarrassed, and most of you would probably try to hold off till after dinner, thinking that no-one noticed, then your great granddaughter walks through the door and remarks on the smell. Of course you'd cry, but it's as boatkicker said, he cried because then he knew people noticed. Not because he had poo'ed himself. xx

aww , poor papa. i dont know about you but im sooper goofy. i would have had to laugh and excuse myself thee table because i cant eat with the smell of human waste.

**** your life? what about your grandpa!

I don't think it can be said enough. Why the hell didn't you help him? Embarrassment is not a reason to let the poor man sit in his own shit for an entire meal. Don't you think he was aware of what had happened? He obviously could feel it or smell it, had he not known he wouldn't have cried when your sister pointed it out. Is it better to be embarrassed while clean and comfortable or to be embarrassed while dirty and ignored? Either way he knew, he would have eventually needed help and it would have been just as embarrassing to know that you sat there ignored and stinking as it would be to have been taken aside and cleaned.

this is where an older member of the family steps up and helps him, leaving him sitting in his own poop was not the right thing to do.