Bad timing

By anonymous - 26/06/2016 03:50 - United States - Knoxville

Today, my boyfriend invited me over to his house. I was planning on breaking up with him while at his house. Turns out, it was a proposal party. I'm now engaged because it would've been rude to say no in front of his family that had flown in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 712
You deserved it 7 402

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Oh gosh take him aside in private explain why you think it's a bad idea and that you really resent the way you feel forced to say yes, do not stick around for the sake of politeness it's not healthy

Although I can see why you gave in to the social pressure, you should've immediately asked for a private minute and told him about your feelings. This was not ok on his part! You should never ever propose in public if you haven't talked about marriage beforehand and are absolutely 100% sure of your partners intentions. It's absolutely assholeish to pressure your SO into saying yes by inviting all of your family.

Comments

Don't do this to yourself, you should have politely said that you were not comfortable making that commitment, and explain to him why that made you uncomfortable

ashwowa 14

You shouldn't get married just because it would have been rude or hard to say no. If you were planning on breaking up with him, I hope you end the engagement. Or learn to love him and have a happy marriage.

You realise now he will have to call a lot of people and tell them it's off and probably have family friends ask him for the next year about the wedding... You really should hAve sucked it up and said no, it's actually the least embarrassing option.

You. WILL. Break. Up. With. Him!!!! And soon! Don't destroy his or your own life like that. Be honest!!!!

Oh wow, that sucks :( Been there, my ex proposed to me on Christmas Eve at his parents house with all of his violent, angry, redneck family there to see it. We drove together, so you bet I didn't say no in front of everyone either, since there was no escape. Never been a fan of big proposals in front of lots of people. So sorry that happened.

Never been a fan of proposals done in front of other people. I believe a proposal should always be done privately, so the person being proposed to doesn't feel pressured to accept. Either way, it's a intimate moment between two people, there doesn't need to be other people there.

Why would you let his family fly you in if you're just gonna break up with him.

Don't make choices because of the peer pressure. Tell him ASAP that you don't want to be with him anymore

damm op that sucks hope everything works out just do what you think is best