Awkward small talk

By I Feel Horrible - 20/07/2014 17:59 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I went to my boyfriend's house, intending to break up with him. Instead, I was greeted by his whole family throwing me a surprise party. I had to sit and listen to his whole family talk about what a great couple we are and how we're going to last forever. FML
I agree, your life sucks 59 152
You deserved it 9 446

Same thing different taste

Top comments

lVluse 15

You better get to that break-up soon! The longer you wait, the more they'll believe your relationship WILL last forever.

Comments

I don't understand.. seems there is no conflict and misunderstanding or fights and he is in love and his family likes u.. so what is the problem and why couldn't be up front to him and give him any indications to discuss and u went straight to break up with him???

My ex and I didn't have fights either, but he was a manipulative alcoholic loser who refused to get help for any of his numerous issues. Maybe OP's boyfriend isn't as big a loser, but it doesn't matter, because she clearly doesn't see him in the same light he sees her. It'll be much less painful in the long run for both of them if OP ends it soon.

cryssycakesx3 22

just because she didn't mention it in a shortly worded FML doesn't mean they didn't have problems. maybe they just had a big fight and she realized she wanted out, he realized he should apologize with a grand gesture…

temmera 16

Just because they're not fighting, there are no conflicts or misunderstandings between the two, his family likes her and he's in love with her doesn't mean anything. They don't necessarily have to have those types of problems. She probably fell out of love with him or she realized she didn't love him, so instead of leading him on (wasting both of their time mind you) she decided to end it. Sometimes people just fall out of love with each other. It happens.

More information is needed to make an accurate thought. What is the reason yoyr breaking up? Is it something that can possibly be worked out and corrected? If not then tactful action is required.

With a marriage, I could see how the reason for ending things might be something to be addressed. With a breakup, the financial and legal stakes are lower, so I don't think we need more information. OP does not want to spend the rest of her life with this man, and that is all we need to know.

cryssycakesx3 22

wow. that's some sound advice...

that's a terrible idea, that would only make her feel worse, that she could actually be so bad to get a guy to break up with her. You won't miss the depression from it, it will just be worse.

FHL not yours, your breaking up with him. Not the other way around YDI. Why are you the one saying FHL, is your boyfriend breaking up with you? No I didn't think so. SMH

I think this is ridiculous. She obviously didn't feel the relationship was working anymore, hence the break up, which she would feel really bad about. Yes FHL but also OP's life, because she couldn't embarass him in front of his family, and had to string it out longer.

Fights or conflicts are not a requirement for ending a relationship. People can fall out of love, and it's not their fault. At least she went to him to talk in person, rather than do it over text messaging or the phone. While I'm sure he'll be heartbroken, she's probably hurting as well.

hey I know how u feel, it took me forever to break up with my bf for the same reason. Give it just a little bit more time, and u'll get there. remember to just treat him how you would want to be treated. Good Luck OP!!!