By Anonymous - 28/04/2009 04:38 - United States

Today, while working at Wendy's my boss approached me and told me the District Manager wanted to talk to me. I had been given a substantial raise the day before so I thought he was going to promote me to manager. Wrong, he told me I was being fired for eating a 99 cent cheeseburger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 990
You deserved it 16 681

pokandy tells us more.

pokandy 0

Clear some things up. I had been working there for 4 1/2 years. Everyone at the store eats on the job and I was the only one to get fired. Never had any disiplinary problems before. The Store owners 14 year old son saw me eat the burger while working and told his dad who in turn told the DM. My regular manager didnt even know about it and was as blindsided as me. I offered to pay for the burger even double or triple for it but my DM could not see it any other way and canned my ass. O well. FML

Top comments

You mean you can get fired for stealing from your job? THIS IS NEWS!

Seems a gray area to me. It's bullshit to be fired for such a trivial thing, though since you got your raise, wouldn't you have been able to afford to purchase the cheeseburger?

Comments

Hey, theft is theft, whether it's 99 cents or 99 dollars. Food that goes missing or is unaccounted for has a huge impact on business. I'd fire your ass too.

poolshark 0

#21, you like, beat me to the punch. Like, I was going to say like the same thing...

food service is so ****** up like that. where i work, one girl was caught double dipping stolen chicken tenders in the buffalo sauce bowl we use to coat all orders and jut go a laugh, and I was warned that I would be fired if I ever again snuck a stale french fry that we couldn't sell since it had been out for more 7 minutes. The next day she cooked an extra steak, cut it up, and ate it on the line..... so sorry about your getting fired. It's probably best just to get out of food service, and now you at least have work experience!

Raine_Sage 0

LOL, I didn't realise at first that you meant you'd stolen it. I thought they did some unreasonable thing like firing you for eating a cheeseburger at all – like buying it at your place of work or something, which led them to conclude that you were unhealthy/cheap/etc. YDI, definitely.

Hard-ass boss. When I worked at a Taco Bell/ KFC/ Pizza Hut hybrid, we were allowed to eat pretty much anything we wanted for free if we were on shift, with a few exceptions. For example, we weren't allowed the white meat from KFC, and we weren't allowed whole pizzas or anything... we'd get a discount on the personal size though, a substantial one. I work at Subway now (yeah I know, not much of a step up but that's what happens when you can only work 10 hours a week) and I'm allowed one foot-long sub per shift... that's way too much though.

bleedingglitter 24

I worked at subway for years during high school and we were allowed one 6" and a drink only if we worked more than 6 hours in one day. We could eat all the soup we wanted though because most of it got thrown out at the end of the day anyway.

Damn, all for a $.99 burger =( Oh well, it's for the best.. you don't wanna move up in a fast food chain job anyways. Work harder and get some place worth your time.

fylfmlydi 0

just throwing this out as a possibility: manager wasn't supposed to give a "substantial raise" so the district manager came in to find any little thing wrong to get rid of OP and hire someone cheaper. still, FYL.

"Today, I ate a 99 cent cheeseburger from Wendy's. FML"

Mmmmm, Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers. I'm guessing you're a teenager, and your only options are fast food and the like (I hope). Get a paper route or some shit. You got fired from Wendy's, not your dream job (I hope). How old or long do you have to work at a fast food place to become a manager? Anyone know? Side Note: I worked at KFC when I was 15, and I could eat whatever the hell I wanted. Shit, and give it to people that came in or through the drive-thru. LOL @ #21.