By Anonymous - 28/04/2009 04:38 - United States

Today, while working at Wendy's my boss approached me and told me the District Manager wanted to talk to me. I had been given a substantial raise the day before so I thought he was going to promote me to manager. Wrong, he told me I was being fired for eating a 99 cent cheeseburger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 990
You deserved it 16 681

pokandy tells us more.

pokandy 0

Clear some things up. I had been working there for 4 1/2 years. Everyone at the store eats on the job and I was the only one to get fired. Never had any disiplinary problems before. The Store owners 14 year old son saw me eat the burger while working and told his dad who in turn told the DM. My regular manager didnt even know about it and was as blindsided as me. I offered to pay for the burger even double or triple for it but my DM could not see it any other way and canned my ass. O well. FML

Top comments

You mean you can get fired for stealing from your job? THIS IS NEWS!

Seems a gray area to me. It's bullshit to be fired for such a trivial thing, though since you got your raise, wouldn't you have been able to afford to purchase the cheeseburger?

Comments

i thought you were allowed to eat the food if you work in a fast food place.

For people who say he's stealing, never worked in food service. Tons of food gets thrown out, when it's not sold and sits out, or at the end of the day. TONS you couldn't even imagine. So when you say he stole a 99 cent burger, the actual cost of the burger is substantially lower, plus it would have been thrown out anyways. some establishments lets you eat w/e due to the fact the cost of the stuff is extremely low, plus it gets tossed out anyways, but other places suck, and see everything in the dumpster than let even employees get a bit.

alwaysalady 0

I have worked fast food for years, and have always been able to eat whatever I wanted, everyone was, with few exceptions. Usually dessert items, but even then if you ask, you can usually have whatever. There was an underlying issue here. That really sucks for you though

GlassJAwkidE 3

I've been craving Wendy's. MmMmm

missus_butter 0

#21 - You're an asshole. Correcting grammar is one thing, but taking it out on someone for using superfluous "like"s is like mocking someone from the south for saying y'all, someone from Wisconsin for saying "don'tcha know" or someone from Boston saying "cah" instead of car. It's regional jargon. I hope someone, like, totally makes fun of you for where you're from, so you get to feel how belittling it is.

Anyone who gives you shit about eating a cheeseburger is full of shit. For all their talk about grazing and food theft, unless you're treating it like your personal kitchen (and sometimes even then!) managers look over it and even do it themselves. As OP said in a comment, it was the DM who saw it. If anyone would fire you for this ubiquitous practice, it'll be the franchise owner or the DM (two people who are never there normally). So yeah, FYL.

#49 using excessive "likes" isn't regional jargon. Its a nationwide filler idiots use when they can't form cohesive sentences. There are dumb teenage girls nationwide that say "like" every other word. Your logic fails to impress me. A filler is not the same as a substitute for a word or a different pronunciation of a word. "Y'all" was created by southerners because there is no one syllable second person plural word in the English language, whereas "like" was created by idiots who didn't want to sound dumb by saying "uh" or making awkward pauses in their speech.

Sounds like your boss hates you, and wanted to get you fired for doing so well. Go work at another one. If you're that good, you'll be fine.