By Anonymous - 28/04/2009 04:38 - United States

Today, while working at Wendy's my boss approached me and told me the District Manager wanted to talk to me. I had been given a substantial raise the day before so I thought he was going to promote me to manager. Wrong, he told me I was being fired for eating a 99 cent cheeseburger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 990
You deserved it 16 681

pokandy tells us more.

pokandy 0

Clear some things up. I had been working there for 4 1/2 years. Everyone at the store eats on the job and I was the only one to get fired. Never had any disiplinary problems before. The Store owners 14 year old son saw me eat the burger while working and told his dad who in turn told the DM. My regular manager didnt even know about it and was as blindsided as me. I offered to pay for the burger even double or triple for it but my DM could not see it any other way and canned my ass. O well. FML

Top comments

You mean you can get fired for stealing from your job? THIS IS NEWS!

Seems a gray area to me. It's bullshit to be fired for such a trivial thing, though since you got your raise, wouldn't you have been able to afford to purchase the cheeseburger?

Comments

It could have been a burger made specially for someone, but then they decided they didn't want it. In that case, the employees get to eat it.

warhorse57 0

That sux dude!! Those jobs suck anyways.

Did you steal it? Because that's pretty lame

im4evaonyomind 0

I love when these discussions turn into finger pointing and name calling. Especially when some one tries to correct someone else and then ***** it up themselves.......like #21.

I know it sucks, but technically you stole from your job, so you deserved it. Pay the 99 cents next time. Also, in the US employment is "at will" - you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, at least they gave you a reason - and a legitimate one, at that, however trivial it may seem to you.

False you can't get fired without reason in less your in the probation period. Otherwise they need a reason to fire you. If not there are legal actions you can take.

I love all the people calling this "theft". Let's see how much they agree with the management when they get fired over less than a dollar's worth of stale food.

# 58 If it's not worth stealing, then it can be easily paid. So why not pay the dollar in the first place? I'll never understand the people who steal little amounts and think they deserve to get away with it. I guess it's some Robin-Hood-complex like "I'm not stealing, I'm redistributing". Well, how would you like it if I secretly redistributed your money because you earn much more than me? And when you catch me just by chance, would you be like "Oh, I see, your only taking the change, that's alright"? Guess not.

kellster 2

I can't believe how many people there are who steal things from their places of employment and then get all shocked when they're fired over it. Seriously????? It doesn't matter how much it cost! You're not paid to steal their shit and eat it on the job! You're paid to do the job. And sell their product, not eat it. YDI hardcore!

That sucks man. Wendys managers are assholes. Well, My managers are sweet, but the District manager is a fat dick sucker. he pretty much hates everybody and his whole meaningless existence is to **** up everyones day. if ive been making "my own (still correct) way" he will notice it and force me to change. Spicy, Breaded, Grilled chicken? no. it has to be Grilled, Spicy, Breaded. what a dick. Your Life is ****** for having such asshole managers. but you should have known not to eat the hamburger.

jorygirly 0

Don't steal from your job. Your lesson is now learnt. You're fired. Have a nice life, dumbass YDI