By Anonymous - 28/04/2009 04:38 - United States

Today, while working at Wendy's my boss approached me and told me the District Manager wanted to talk to me. I had been given a substantial raise the day before so I thought he was going to promote me to manager. Wrong, he told me I was being fired for eating a 99 cent cheeseburger. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 990
You deserved it 16 681

pokandy tells us more.

pokandy 0

Clear some things up. I had been working there for 4 1/2 years. Everyone at the store eats on the job and I was the only one to get fired. Never had any disiplinary problems before. The Store owners 14 year old son saw me eat the burger while working and told his dad who in turn told the DM. My regular manager didnt even know about it and was as blindsided as me. I offered to pay for the burger even double or triple for it but my DM could not see it any other way and canned my ass. O well. FML

Top comments

You mean you can get fired for stealing from your job? THIS IS NEWS!

Seems a gray area to me. It's bullshit to be fired for such a trivial thing, though since you got your raise, wouldn't you have been able to afford to purchase the cheeseburger?

Comments

kbot 0

YDI for working at Wendy's, stealing, and stealing from Wendy's.

amygrl24 0

as long as you enjoyed the cheeseburger, thats all that really matters.

Wow, that blows. I worked as a cashier at a fast food place in the mall and I stole food almost every time I worked. I would just make a ticket for whatever sandwich I wanted and then void it after the order was prepared and take it home. It really is a minor offense, especially if you, like me, saw the thousands of dollars that went into the cash registers each day. I don't think anyone noticed that I did this, but if they did I can't imagine they would care. At worst, they would just tell me not to do it anymore.

#31 - The rules of the food service industry become stricter by the year, especially as prices rise and profit margins fall. Too, these days, morals seem to be going out the window (I'm not going to generalize, but I think you know what I mean) and if you don't crack down on ALL theft, it's as good as allowing it - that's even written into the law. If this person had been warned even once before for this behaviour for any reason, then it's the manager's responsibility to punish/fire them for it... even if it seems trivial or they don't really want to. If this were someone in a jewellery store and they pocketed the cheapest item in the store, nobody would be laughing or saying it wasn't their fault. Sorry, OP, but rules are rules. You may not necessarily agree with them - I know I very often don't - but that doesn't automatically abrogate the consequences for breaking them.

LeCorsaire_fml 0

he never said he stole it, or that he took from his job.

Yeah. It just says that he was fired for eating a 99 cent cheeseburger; no indication that he stole it.

Yeah it's trivial, but it is stealing. I worked at fast food joints before and we were only allowed to have food that's been sitting out after a certain limit of time (we couldn't serve it then.) But still, it sucks you got fired for it.

ericck 0

lol,couldn't u just pay for it ?