By Anonymous - 18/10/2013 14:29 - United States - Worcester

Today, we had a safety meeting at my warehouse job. They had an entire power point based around their message, "Stop getting hurt; it costs the company too much money." FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 519
You deserved it 4 219

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Genius! We could solve all world problems this way! Poverty in Africa: Stop being poor! Terrorism: Stop being violent! Brilliant stuff, OP. This shit's gonna change the world. Hope you took notes!

onealmxwilson 18

I can only imagine that a lot of accidents have happened for them to have a presentation about it. Sounds like unsafe working conditions.

Comments

Genius! We could solve all world problems this way! Poverty in Africa: Stop being poor! Terrorism: Stop being violent! Brilliant stuff, OP. This shit's gonna change the world. Hope you took notes!

Can I get a copy of this PowerPoint? We can retool it and give it to Congress... How to avoid a government shutdown.... Work together!

I hope that OP was wearing safety gloves while taking those notes. Paper cuts can be nasty and painful.

Does everything have to revolve around the government shutdown!? As a disabled veteran, I am very aware of the impact. I would surely hope that the rest of America is aware. Honestly, everyone needs to quit commenting about it, and DO something about it. Ugh! Absolutely irritating!

Wow, like as if one would hurt himself on purpose. Anw op, good luck!

Someone I used to work with got hurt on purpose to try and sue the company... There's people who do that.

its not that you choose to hurt yourself, but that you choose not to prevent yourself from getting hurt by not following safety guidelines. Got something in your eye? why no safety glasses? cut your hand? why no safety gloves. fell off something high? why no harness? You get my point I think.

Yeah i did get your point, but still this is something uncontrollable. I mean i knew a person who died while working because the machine he was using had a technical problem and electrocuted him until he turned into a crisp!

Yeah. Real accidents do occur, but the ratio of preventable to unpreventable is just crazy. and the companies get charged for it. I'm sure it wasn't just one slide that said "you're costing us money!" but that is the general message usually. Unfortunate but true.

At least it wasn't a meeting with Sexual Harassment Panda.

Obviously your feelings not taken into the cost-benefit account. If you tell me where it hurts OP, I can help you by blowing on them.

English, ************! Do you speak it?

That's fascinating Latin, but I fail to see how it applies here.

jamesman5995 4

Stick it to the man and get hurt as much as you can

In the military, they call that "malingering."

They also used to call shell-shock/PTSD 'malingering' so ymmv on that one.

People are sometimes wrongly accused of malingering, and it can be difficult to identify, however faking illness or injury or deliberately inuring yourself in order to avoid performing your duties (because in the military, service members get paid even if they physically can't work) is the definition of malingering. You can even get in trouble for injuring yourself by accident because you did something so stupid injury was inevitable. I overheard one of my superiors saying that a guy who broke his hand punching one of those punching bag arcade games could be reprimanded for being such a muscle-headed dolt that he followed through and landed his fist on the hard body of the machine behind the punching bag.

Yeah, I try to discourage my subordinates from getting decapitated by a helicopter rotor. There's so much paperwork to fill out when it happens. It's such a hassle.

Aussieinusa 5

Did you show a cheesy video on what happens when you get close to rotor blades? If so, I want to watch! I hope it's as good as the forklift training videos

Nah. Producing a video would be too expensive. It's much cheaper to wrangle a live seagull and toss it up into a spinning rotor whenever we get new guys. I'd be glad to demonstrate though. Bring a bucket and you'll have instant seagull soup.

Aussieinusa 5

I'll bring bring some vegetables too, gotta have those vitamins

perdix 29

They should have mentioned that your bloodstains don't go with the corporate color scheme, and that you're screaming and groaning just harshes everyone's mellow.

Yeah, I try to discourage my subordinates from getting decapitated by a helicopter rotor. There's so much paperwork to fill out when it happens. It's such a hassle.