By Anonymous - 02/04/2016 09:23 - Australia - Melbourne

Today, my sister called me a moron after I told her that no, healthy foods do not give you "negative calories". She's 21 and goes around telling everyone that she's an expert nutritionist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 497
You deserved it 1 642

Same thing different taste

Top comments

alex_the_tiger 14

Well celery use more calories chewing it than calories gained by consuming it

I'm surprised so many people still believe a lot of the diet/health "tips" that so called experts spout to get people to listen to them. Doing a little research before trying any sort of diet goes on a long way into staying healthy and safe.

Comments

First time I hear about "negative calories" and that celery myth mentioned in comments. It's silly that people actually believe that. Anyway, it annoys me that so many people, who know next to nothing about it, try to tell others what food they should or shouldn't eat. Leave that to doctors, please.

Mathalamus 24

actually, leave that to the specially trained nutritionists. and only the smarter ones.

I think you mean dietitian.. actually a registered dietitian to be exact.. just about anyone who reads up on nutrition information can call themselves a nutritionist. A nutritionist goes to school for at most a year, if at all. A registered dietitian goes to school for anywhere from 2-8 years (depending on what you want to do with it) -This is coming from someone who is actually studying to become a registered dietitian.

At least she's calling herself a nutritionist, which is an unprotected term. If she would say dietician it would be illegal.

Nothing has negative calories unless your exercising and burning it off whilst eating it which doesn't even make sense lol. It's all about the calories you burn. The only thing that doesn't have calories is water... Well you could go one further and say ice but yeah....

Coffee. Black coffee has no calories.

Actually, black coffee contains about 7 calories.

Eh. Let her make a fool of herself. She might actually learn something if she gets humiliated enough times. FYL for having to put up with her, though.

If negative calories were possible we would have less obesity. And more deaths from not consuming calories. I hope your sister sees this fml.

I've tried every myth and whatnot and lost 52kg in 8 months. It's silly to even debate on whether celery gives you negative calories cuz it does not really matter. If it has negative calories then are you going to survive just on it? Unlikely. No such thing as superfood or what, just different food for different objective. This includes "junk food" like ice cream. Eating one spoon of ice cream may actually make me feel better and not mass eat other "superfood". My point is, stop putting labels on food. Those "viral articles" on food might not actually be wrong. No such thing as bad calories. Just calories, how fast or slow it is digested and used. No super nutrients, just nutrients. They have names, use them. Go educate yourself and KNOW what you are reading, and what you are putting in your body.

kewpiesuicide 29

Technically, being a nutritionist requires zero credentials. If she were claiming to be a dietitian it would be another thing

there are zero calorie things though

While negative calories aren't a thing, there are some foods with so few calories that the energy used by simply existing would burn off most of the calories you'd gain from eating them, so they can be practically calorie-less. These foods include stuff like celery, cabbage, and lettuce (fun fact: competitive eaters actually gorge on boiled cabbage so they can expand their stomachs with minimal impact on health due to the low ratio of calories:mass). Of course, these foods don't satisfy all your nutritional needs, but you shouldn't be avoiding calories for the sake of avoiding them, since you need calories to fuel your body. Most people need a good 1.5k-2k calories a day (more if they exercise daily. A friend of mine actually had to eat more than he used to when he was trying to lose weight due to the amount of energy his body needed to fuel his exercise. He seriously lost 50 pounds over 2 months while actually increasing his diet).

That's not even to mention crazy stuff like professional athletes. It's not uncommon for ('Murican) football players to eat 5-7k calories a day since they basically spend their lives either in the gym or on the field.

AdamTodddBrown 11

Yeah there are totally foods that burn more calories in digestion than they contain.