By evilmuffinlord - 18/06/2013 06:34 - United States - Houston

Today, my parents took my iPad back to the store and exchanged it for two cheap knock off tablets. Reason being my little brother threatened to run away because I had one and he didn't. I bought the iPad on my own after graduation. They kept the difference in price. FML
I agree, your life sucks 65 388
You deserved it 3 980

evilmuffinlord tells us more.

evilmuffinlord 14

hello! OP here. Originally, I was very upset, I hadn't been home when it happened and when I came back I found out. I have since talked to my parents, and found out my mom was the one who did it, but she put the extra money back into my bank account. I do live with my parents until I go off to college. The Ipad was an overzealous purchase, and after messing with the tablet its not so bad. As for my brother, my dad sat him down and talked to him about how it was wrong to do that and he needs to earn stuff, etc etc etc. And his tablet will be returned. So I guess in a sense everything is ok now. xD I wasnt expecting to have this accepted, I didn't even have an account till this morning.

Top comments

Why did you let your parents take it? I wouldn't have given it up without a fight.

saIty 17

Your brother is bluffing. He would come back if he ran away. They always come back.

Comments

moonbane 9

You can sue them for theft.

I seem to be the only person so far to realize OP probably bought said Ipad with money she possibly could have received from a graduation party. Nowhere did she say she has a job in which she worked for the money to buy the Ipad. So are her parents douchebags for giving into her younger sibling, yes. But do I feel all that bad for OP? no.

So if someone gives you money to spend on what you wish for your birthday or graduation, its theirs and not yours? Your logic is flawed..

No I just think it would have been even worse had she gotten the money from a job.

acerredrum 23

That logic doesn't work. I was given a cheapo car for my 16th birthday but if someone had stolen it it wouldn't of mattered because I didn't buy it? That is retarded logic, it is still mine.

skyeyez9 24

That sucks. I would never buy them any gifts. Keep a bank acct where they do Not have access, and can drain it. save as much as you can till you are able to move out.

archerygenious 2

And that is why in the UK at least, you need the debit/credit card you payed for it with to return something to the shop...

You do in the USA too if you paid with credit/debit card. But what if you pay for it with cash, which if the OP probably did if she just graduated high school. She could be 17 still which is not old enough to have a credit card and sometimes even a debit card with a MC/Visa symbol. Plus debit is treated as cash now. And the parents exchanged it for two tablets not flat out returned it.

aliciaanomalyyxo 12

Threaten to move out if they don't replace your shit, that's theft regardless of who it is they stole from you, that's ****** up

That's really tucked up. Take them to small claims court over it. You may piss them off, but it'll show them that they can not and will not get away with such things.

Well OP, take heart, looks like your parents are raising a brat and they will be sorry for it. You at least know the value of things and what is fair or unfair.

evilmuffinlord 14

hello! OP here. Originally, I was very upset, I hadn't been home when it happened and when I came back I found out. I have since talked to my parents, and found out my mom was the one who did it, but she put the extra money back into my bank account. I do live with my parents until I go off to college. The Ipad was an overzealous purchase, and after messing with the tablet its not so bad. As for my brother, my dad sat him down and talked to him about how it was wrong to do that and he needs to earn stuff, etc etc etc. And his tablet will be returned. So I guess in a sense everything is ok now. xD I wasnt expecting to have this accepted, I didn't even have an account till this morning.

skyeyez9 24

I am curious as to which tablet they bought for you?

sgtcxelite 11

I'd still be pretty pissed at your mom for doing that.

evilmuffinlord 14

its the nextbook at Walmart. Its an 8in tablet for 100 dollars. I was surprised but it works pretty good.

Glad u're mature and content enough to forgive and not chase after the joneses. As Suze Orman said: People first, then things. I bet your parents know that, so don't worry...! :)

Glad things worked out for you Op. But I gravely recommend returning that tablet for a nexus 7 instead. What you got is an old OS with no updates.

84 You say that like it's a bad thing. I'd take an android tablet over an ipad anyday.

are you thick in the head or something boy?

HowAreYouToday 34

I have an android tablet, and it works better than my old iPad.

Them's fightin' words! I love my iPad! It's my mobile cintiq. ( drawing monitor) I wouldn't touch an android device with a ten foot pole. Too much crapware. It's a breeding ground for buggy aps and half-assed games. Zero QC / QA provided by the OS ( google ) whereas apple uses a great deal of it. From a development standpoint I would take an iPad any day of the week. That said, I -do- like the new Microsoft tablets. :-)

Least I can take the bloatware off android unlike apple.

Laurenluvz 11

You wouldn't touch one? You seem like a spoiled little brat.. Several people can't even own one, let alone an iPad. You should be ashamed of yourself.

KVKdragon 26

@108 I agree. I respect the power that androids have and wield but I personally prefer apple's tech and OS. It works so well for me as a power user that hardly any of my friends ever mock me for using apple tech. I'm usually wicked fast with using their products and I wouldn't change unless I really needed to lol Side-note: I am also an avid user of Siri on my iPhone and iPad. I love being able to look up calculations, word definitions, and other info at the press of a button. I like texting while driving, using Siri to voice text ;)

*mocks you for choosing apple* THE WAR HAS BEGUN.

I can download movies directly to my phone, then multitask with the movie and something like Skype up at the same time. Apple can screw themselves.

Since your dad seems to be the level headed parent, try to have him talk your mom into giving you the extra money from returning the iPad and the cost of your brother's ipad. It was your money so you should get it back (minus the cost of the tablet you kept) from her.

I love not being restricted to itunes. I can also customize to my hearts desires. Also sometimes if I break something I don't have to always have to take it to an apple store.

I have a Nextbook--it's incredibly frustrating, as it's really slow and doesn't have access to the main Google Play store. If you can get a different model, I'd suggest it.

#125 He's an adult who gets to buy what ever device he wants. I'd guess he's a designer based on his comment and an iPad is a tool. Its stupid to assume mom and dad are footing the bill so he has every right to say he wouldn't touch an android tablet. I wouldn't either. I buy my devices so I get to make that choice.

good on you for being mature, I would have been so mad.

#84 - you have obviously never used a real android tablet. Try out a Nexus 7 or an Asus Transformer tablet and you'll take that back. Most android phones and tablets are fast enough to run circles around any iDevice. just face it, the iPad is not what people make it out to be and android tablets are a true competitor.

onemellowidiot 2

Good that you're able to come to terms with that. Still, if it were me, I'd have some grudge with your mum. That's too much spoiling for your brother. But I'm guessing you're a better person than I am. Congrats on riding this through. And have fun in college.

#108 I agree as well I have an android phone that is crappy and an iPad that I love I'm waiting to upgrade to an iPhone, I phone that actually works

Snowcones 14

I have the same one, only 7 in. It's not bad at all, but my step dad ran over mine on accident with his truck :/ Oh well. I'll get a new one.

That's a surprisingly good android tablet. Somehow your parents got you a decent inexpensive tablet despite the many bad ones out there.

(Can't edit with the app... hence the two posts) make sure you get the Google Play apps on there.

Turned into a droid vs apple debate? I have both and they have their strong points. Another example of "don't put someone down for their own preferences". Live and let live, or "just letitgo"!!

@84. There was a war and then my robot ate your fruit. muahahah

Leprekhaun 14

Apple has done so well with advertising that paying the insane prices makes it "better" than anything else. I'm currently typing this on my iPod and I'm fed up with the monopoly that apple has created. (Its also slower since the new update but i have the ipod 4) I had an issue and spent 60 bucks only for the guy to look something off google and tell me how to fix it. People assume the price makes the hardware better but it doesn't, my 700 dollar laptop runs, plays, streams faster then any Mac I've used. Steve Jobs is one hell of an advertiser that's for sure.

OP literally said its a Walmart tablet /).•

I was about to say FML, cuz that sucks, but buying Apple for anything is a mistake, financially and quality wise

OP should get the Nexus 8 instead. It should be released next month.

#79- Are you using a cheapo budget Android phone? Those suck for sure, but when it comes to high end devices, Android is much better than iPhones. I just don't understand people who say that iPhones are better than Android phones, when the only Android phones they've used are crappy ones that cost $100-200, when the iPhone costs $600-800. Hell, people still buy the iPhone 3 (not even the 3GS) for over $300. That's simply how brainwashed so many people are.

glad you made the best out of an awful situation :)

Skofnung 4

Or you could get a better android phone. I have the LG G2 and it's better than any iPhone. It's a mobile gaming beast, too. I have a Moga controller and some emulators, so I can play any of my favorite PSX, PSP, SNES, Genesis, or what-have-you games on the go.

Welcome to the new American socialist democracy, bro. I'd bet money that both your parents voted OBAMA…

What does that have to do with anything?