By lauren_crewd - 23/11/2013 23:56 - United States - Sylacauga

Today, my parents grounded me for being "addicted" to drugs because I've been taking pain meds every four hours. I had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday, and my face is badly swollen. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 951
You deserved it 2 951

lauren_crewd tells us more.

This is the OP here, my parents are incredibly worried about me taking the medicine because two of my three brothers are recovering drug addicts. I was visiting a friend who called my brother to come pick me up because I kept falling asleep mid-conversation as a side-effect to the medication. My parents assumed I was abusing them because of their past experiences with my brothers. They're incredibly understanding about the pain, but they're just scared.

Top comments

What's with FMLs with such stupid ass parents lately? On a side note, your parents are assholes, OP. They should know your condition. You're obviously taking them for a good purpose in a non-addictive way.

Coeliacchic93 21

just because your brother's are recovering drug addicts doesn't mean you will be. I understand and acknowledge that in some cases substance abuse can run in families but it's just not always the case. there are drug addicts in my family but I'm only taking my medication prescribed for my chronic iillnesses so I do know what I am talking about good luck OP and I hope your pain eases soon!

Comments

Meaniebobeanie 26

I'm sorry :/ that really sucks my parents did the same thing. And didn't let me take anything but Advil. Hope your mouth feels better :)

If you're still under 18 call child services, you're in pain and they're keeping you there.

This is the OP here, my parents are incredibly worried about me taking the medicine because two of my three brothers are recovering drug addicts. I was visiting a friend who called my brother to come pick me up because I kept falling asleep mid-conversation as a side-effect to the medication. My parents assumed I was abusing them because of their past experiences with my brothers. They're incredibly understanding about the pain, but they're just scared.

Coeliacchic93 21

just because your brother's are recovering drug addicts doesn't mean you will be. I understand and acknowledge that in some cases substance abuse can run in families but it's just not always the case. there are drug addicts in my family but I'm only taking my medication prescribed for my chronic iillnesses so I do know what I am talking about good luck OP and I hope your pain eases soon!

I got my wisdom teeth taken out last December. My mom was worried about my liver and the heavy medications.

If I were you I'd buy my parents a medical dictionary or something to educate them more lol. On the other hand that really fails though. Getting wisdom teeth taken out hurts

Just to let you go Justin in meds, I was given regular Tylenol when I got my wisdom teeth taken out, and two of them were impacted

Over the counter Tylenol can be very strong for some people, and do absolutely nothing for others. This is true of all medication. I myself don't take any over the counter painkillers because they don't do anything for me. All the acetaminophen and stuff does is harm my stomach lining ( a side effect that all people should be aware of! ). I have to take much stronger, prescription-strength medication for pain.

I was given Morphine when I got my wisdom teeth taken out. Just sayin, every situation is different.

I don't think being grounded resolves addiction.

If you're chewing or crushing the pills instead of popping them whole, odds are you're going after the hit instead of the pain relief. If that's what's going on, I can see where they're coming from. But that's about the only way it makes any sort of sense.

I wonder how that went. "Son your grounded for being addicted to pain medication"