By lauren_crewd - 23/11/2013 23:56 - United States - Sylacauga

Today, my parents grounded me for being "addicted" to drugs because I've been taking pain meds every four hours. I had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday, and my face is badly swollen. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 951
You deserved it 2 951

lauren_crewd tells us more.

This is the OP here, my parents are incredibly worried about me taking the medicine because two of my three brothers are recovering drug addicts. I was visiting a friend who called my brother to come pick me up because I kept falling asleep mid-conversation as a side-effect to the medication. My parents assumed I was abusing them because of their past experiences with my brothers. They're incredibly understanding about the pain, but they're just scared.

Top comments

What's with FMLs with such stupid ass parents lately? On a side note, your parents are assholes, OP. They should know your condition. You're obviously taking them for a good purpose in a non-addictive way.

Coeliacchic93 21

just because your brother's are recovering drug addicts doesn't mean you will be. I understand and acknowledge that in some cases substance abuse can run in families but it's just not always the case. there are drug addicts in my family but I'm only taking my medication prescribed for my chronic iillnesses so I do know what I am talking about good luck OP and I hope your pain eases soon!

Comments

baseballdude1283 18

I'm sorry but I find this hard to believe

Did they give you prescription drugs? When I got my wisdom teeth out my dad was worried that I'd get addicted to the meds my dentist gave me. Maybe they're just worried about that to and took it to far? None the less I hope you can talk some sense into them.

I was awake during my wisdom teeth surgery, I just had local anesthetic. My face was swollen for a day and I had to take a half of a pain killer. It's way better people!

Rosebudx 32

@45: Some of us don't get the option to use only local anesthetic. Mine were impacted, meaning they grew in sideways and were creating absolute havoc within my gums, and as I have a phobia of general anesthetic I tried everything I could to get them to just numb me. It was, unfortunately, a no go, and I spent a week that included my birthday eating pudding and mashed potatoes.

Oh I didn't know that. All of my friends had the option, and chose to go under and then were in a lot more pain for a lot longer. Well. the more you know! Thanks for the info

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I was put totally under because I had 7 wisdom teeth, and yeah it hurt a lot (possibly because I had so many), but I don't think it hurt more than normal (relative to the situation) or anything.

Not gonna lie, that's pretty crazy. I was lucky when I had my wisdom teeth out and only had one on the bottom plus no impacted teeth or complications of any kind. I think I took pain meds once and was back to eating (semi normal) food after a single day with very little pain or discomfort. I'm sorry that you're going through that. If this is still going on, you might try some homeopathic stuff. I can't imagine you'll be able to find much that you can (or would be willing to) put in your mouth, though.

GwennaRose 22

I had two teeth impacted in the gums and one was completely encased in bone

AntiPrude 26

FYL bro, keep taking that codeine, I have to get mine out soon and I'm gonna get the most relief I can get!

I find it hard to believe there are clueless parents out there but then again, there's some are clueless individuals in the up and coming generation. If this indeed is not one sided, I feel for OP but just remember, hold back the old man's Viagra so he won't get addicted to them in the years ahead.

I think OPs mum might have something to say about that.....

They're probably just worried about you and want to make sure you're fine. Try to explain them what they're for.

Even if you were addicted, grounding would be sort of a weird solution. What would they do if you were actually addicted to meth - not let you use the internet for a month?

Wizardo 33

Unless you're 'Breaking' them down to use to cook up something 'Bad' then just continue to take them, parents are ridiculous sometimes.

Hopefully your parent's anniversary is today. Your mom will better relate to having teeth pulled.