By ducksgurl - 12/05/2015 16:17 - Canada

Today, my mother yelled at me, telling me I'm irresponsible and lecturing me on how I need to "plan ahead like an adult." All because I asked to borrow a tampon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 942
You deserved it 3 012

ducksgurl tells us more.

For all of you wondering about the "borrowing" part, no I was not planning on actually giving it back. But asking to borrow something seems much more polite than demanding someone to give you something. On another note, I think this was just my mother's breaking point. We do have a very strained relationship and had actually been arguing all morning. I just thought it was funny that this was the thing she chose to snap on me for. Much love, thanks guys!

Top comments

Next month, hide all of her products a few hours or days before and see if she asks the same of you. If she does, repeat the same thing she said to you, she'll get it, and won't say anything like that again. Good luck op.

Comments

One does not "borrow" a tampon. You're (hopefully) not gonna give it back when you're done. Think about it. XD

One borrows a tampon just like one borrows money. She'll give her mom a different tampon to replace the one she borrowed just like she would give her mom different money to replace money she borrowed.

I had a school nurse who did the same thing and it was awful because I was in middle school, started my period and hadn't repacked my backpack from my last period. She made me cry

Sounds like something that happened to me in high school. I was shaking, doubled over, going from freezing to burning up over and over within seconds, and it wasn't until I threw up that the nurse took my cramps seriously. I get that she was trying to prepare me for the working world, when I would have to have Tylenol or something on hand and I wouldn't be allowed to just go home because of my period, but I was 15 and all I needed was for her to shut up and have some compassion. Not to mention that it was against the rules to have any type of drugs (even generic painkillers) on my person at school.

school nurses suck, ive never gotten anything but salty crackers and an offer for a ten minute nap

But always take the nap right, I mean who's going to turn that down. It's the only good thing they offer.

Well damn:/ sounds like a lot of built up frustration. Maybe you guys should talk , a heart to heat might uncramp that relationship go easy though...sounds like it could get bloody ..

CliffyB03 28

You don't "borrow" tampons. You don't give them back after you're done.

Coland 19

I mean you could give them back but...

You were planning on giving it back?!

cr500guy 11

the same way someone borrows a cigarette

For all of you wondering about the "borrowing" part, no I was not planning on actually giving it back. But asking to borrow something seems much more polite than demanding someone to give you something. On another note, I think this was just my mother's breaking point. We do have a very strained relationship and had actually been arguing all morning. I just thought it was funny that this was the thing she chose to snap on me for. Much love, thanks guys!

Arguing and in need of tampons... I know correlation doesn't mean causation, but... Classic.

People seem to think they are clever by implying that you would give back the tampon. If you ask to borrow five bucks, no one in their right mind believes that they will get the same exact money that they let you borrow. Some people. SMH

Next time just say "May I please use one of your tampons". That'll shut up the stupid grammar and literal nazis.

Obviously you wouldn't give back the used Tampon but the word borrow is generally used when the idea is that 1) the item in question will be replaced at some point and 2) when the item in question will be replaced by essentially the same item. If she borrows a tampon it's most likely that she will just give her mom a tampon from the next box of tampons she purchases. Just like if you borrow five bucks from someone you do generally give them five bucks back. The only time you absolutely should use a different word then borrow is if what you are giving back is not the same. May I use a Tampon if I give you a dollar? Can you give me five dollars and I'll give you this box of thingamajigs you were looking at? That said sorry OP that you were arguing with your mom all morning. I've had days like that and they royally suck.

If someone asks me to BORROW 5 dollars (or 50 or 500 for that matter) I'd expect them to give it back. Maybe that's just me. And as for the tampon, obviously people knew what she meant, but people like to point silly things out for no reason lol.

The reason for pointing out silly things is to sound smart and important because they made a comment on a joke site people read during smoke breaks.

If this is really true I don't know a single responsible woman.

Your mother is a ******* idiot. Move out as soon as possible.