By depressednupset - 30/12/2010 15:06 - United States

Today, my mother told me to 'quit having a pity party'. I was just diagnosed with depression. I've lost my boyfriend, my job, my academic standing, and I just got rejected from every graduate school I applied for. And my mother thinks I'm a cry baby. Great. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 559
You deserved it 8 236

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Living well is the best revenge. Show them all by stepping up. Do deal with the depression. It's neither easy nor fun.

Comments

Bernie88 0

Hey people, I almost wish you had a relative suffering from depression, and ending by suicidal, so you can see by yourselves how a depressive person is "just a cry baby". I mean, if your bf / gf broke with you, if your employer fired you, if you lost your academic standing and if you weren't admitted in any graduate school, - and all that in the meantime, so it seems - I'm sure you would go through it with honour, humility, even joy, and finally get back a super life, not only because you are great people but also because you are not depressive. So you'd keep being so awfully judging. (If you didn't notice I'm partly ironical, I tell you it's the case.) OP may sound not strong enough to you, but depression is a real disease, and some of your comments are just like telling someone lactose intolerant he/she's merely doing the fussy when he/she refuses to eat purée : useless, kind of mean and a bit stupid, too. Anyway ! Most people feel bad when so many bad things happen, and I don't think FML is read by 'strong' and insensitive persons only, so you can even guess you, yes, YOU, would find it very difficult to endure such a situation as OP's one ! And if you despise or even disregard depression, refusing to consider it seriously, just suck it up... Nothing obligates you to comment on the FML, but a kind of decency asks clearly you not to be hurtful just because you haven't to see the person in front of you when you're saying such things, just because you take the benefit from Internet to be as mean as it pleases you - as it's very often so here. Eventually, since I'm apparently more aware of "realness" of the disease which is called "depression" than you, and since I might be more 'human' than you, too, (and perhaps a bit imbued with myself, I confess) I don't really wish you had a relative suffering from depression and ending by suicidal, so you could see by yourselves what is a depressive person. But I wish OP recovers from depression and find a job and so on.

thank you! someone who finally understands the results of depression! for you people who think op can just suck it up, you are heartless inconsiderate people who i bet have a perfect life and have never had to go through depression. I know, from experience, that depression is one of the worst things in life that could happen to you. you feel helpless and empty inside and you feel it'll never stop. you constantly have suicidal thoughts and fears. it's very difficult to get through alone and it sometimes ends in suicide. you people may think it's not so bad but it is horrible! one of the worst things that could happen to you. fyl op and thank you someone for finally understanding

I battled depression for over a year, I turned into a recluse and never came out of my room, constantly had negative and suicidal thoughts, cried myself to sleep, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror without hating myself, and you know what I did? I ******* sucked it up. I did what I thought would make me look better and feel better. Saying you can't grt through depression by merely sucking it up is a load of complete crap. You can do whatever you want, you just need to say "F*** this" and get out and do it. So stop babying her, it'll only make it worse.

PaperCandles 0

37 aand 55- thank you. you are brilliant. i cannot stand people who think depression is just a bad mood, and that people who have it are just crybabies.

60 - Just because "sucking it up" worked for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. I think it's foolish to to think that. Everyone handles issues differently. Yay... sucking it up worked for you. Perhaps OP needs therapy or medicine to help her. So you just keep on "sucking it up."

Well good for you, but there are some people who need support to get over things. your 'just f*ck it ' method doesn't work for everyone. plus, more severe cases are caused by a chemical imbalance that hinder your ability to suck it up. it may take a professinal to get them back to the 'f*ck it' state.

I have bipolar disorder, and I know from long experience how ignorant some people can be about the reality of mental illness. Seek the treatment you need, and remind yourself every time you face those attitudes that another person's lack of understanding, unwillingness to learn, or just compulsion to be cruel has no relation whatsoever to the validity of your condition. And to those suggesting that OP is reacting irrationally to her own misfortunes or even failures: Have you considered that these recent losses may have been the result of her illness, not the cause? Depression can be absolutely devastating to the sufferer's ability to function. Literally millions of people around the world, with every kind of mental illness, delay or deny themselves treatment every day because they're trying like hell to "suck it up". Even those who get the help they need may continue to berate themselves for not having been able to do without it. Those attitudes hurt not only the people themselves, but everyone with whom they come into contact, particularly those who depend on them. A person with impaired vision does not face stigma for wearing glasses rather than walking around squinting and running into things, nor does he torture himself for being so "weak" as to see an optometrist. A psychiatric condition should be no different. OP, find the treatment that works for you, be it regular psychotherapy, medication, or some combination of the two. Enhance that care with a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and consistent physical exercise. You'd be surprised how much those things can help. It may not be easy to overcome the ignorance around you, but you'll find many people who are willing and able to understand. Consider joining a support group where you'll meet others who know what you're going through and have been where you are now. To some extent it's true that you'll have to work to keep from indulging your more destructive impulses, but you can learn skills to help you do that, and none of it means that your illness isn't real. Clinical depression can be chronic and may recur, but it doesn't have to last forever. Shut out the meanness and ignorance and do what you need to do to get better.

so relaxfreak, no matter how many people have told you they have tried your method and it hasn't worked, you're still going to sit there and tell them to do it because it works. You're an idiot. Good on you that you can think so positively, but you don't have anything CLINICAL impairing your ability to do so, so it's not exactly a whopping achievement.

Your mother has a point. But boys can be useless, Start gathering applications, make a list of things to handle to get your academics straightened up, focus all your energies on these things and the depression will slacken because your mind will be sidetracked and all the bad things in your life will magically be improved.

I don't know if "magically" is the right word, but as someone who has dealt with depression, a big part of recovery is WANTING to recover and TRYING to recover, not wallowing. You do what you have to do to keep on truckin', no matter how much things suck.

So in other words, yes. She needs to focus on other things.

And you came to the internet for sympathy? You can add "and I don't make excellent decisions" to that list.

With all of your mother's sensitivity she has a point. No use wallowing, get out there and do something about it, whether it's by medication or just making positive changes in your life. Sitting around whining about it will not make your life better.

pseudolife 4

OP - Life isn't fair, but it's still good. You have to move on. Listen to Happy by Natasha Bedingfield. It reminds me to be thankful for having a life when everything seems to be wrong with my life.