By longing for emancipation - 30/04/2016 03:09 - United States - Mitchell

Today, my mom claimed that lactose intolerance is a "myth" and told me to drink my damn milk because it's good for my bones. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 743
You deserved it 1 320

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How can your mom not know this? Especially if she was the one that changed you diapers when you were a youngster and most likely given dairy.

joeyl2008 29

Peanut allergies are a myth too

Comments

ironically my parents often forget im lactose intolerant and offer me cheese sticks

Geckosrock99 33

I'm lactose intolerant too, OP. It didn't develop until after I graduated high school, though, so my Dad thought I was trying some new age diet for some reason. After Mom finally convinced him I was telling the truth, we tried all sorts of things. Almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, and my favorite, soy milk. Soon, I didn't need any of that because we found Lactaid. It's a lactase enzyme digestive supplement that comes in pill form, chewables, and powder. Just take it with your dairy, and no more troubles. I buy the store name brand and it works just as well. Hopefully it works for you.

Tell her there are others ways to get calcium in your body

My step mom told me a couple years ago my lactose intollerance was in my head, I feel for you..I try to avoid daiey as much as possible (I love butter though), and take my Lactaid pills when Im out. I get the Lactaid milk. Read ingredients on other food too!!! Theres Lactose/milk products in food you wouldnt expect - medication too...depends on how severe your symptoms are, Im really lactose intollerant, so I try and read all ingredients. Good luck!

Something close to this happened to me too, whenever I encountered a particular vegetable. She still wouldn't believe me, even after my throat swelled ******* shut after breathing with it cooked several rooms away. Some people are too stubborn to see it, and hopefully you take good care of yourself and get out of that situation when possible for you. Good luck op

Try lactaid, it's milk with the lactase enzyme added so there's no intestinal distress ?

We aren't even really meant to drink milk or have any dairy. Like all other animals, we were supposed to stop as infants. That's why so many people have an intolerance for it.

Actually, dairy isn't the healthiest thing for us. By choice, we are the only mammals who still consume dairy after it is needed. Lacking the lactose gene is a real thing, as with other allergies. Maybe your mom should have done more research.

Sounds like you're *puts on sunglasses* boned!