By 2.5-long-months - 28/07/2016 13:49 - Canada - Edmonton

Spicy
Today, my husband and I had our first prenatal appointment. My doctor told us we shouldn't have sex during the first trimester, "just to be safe". He has no evidence to back this, but now my husband is too scared to touch me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 330
You deserved it 1 635

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Uuuh, what evidence would you require, OP? It just seems to be common sense that sperm in your husband's urethra will get jealous and try to pull the newly formed zygote out. Honestly, people these days…

usnwife 18

Unless you have some issue that puts you at risk, that's total crap and I would be finding a new OB asap! If your dr doesnt base anything on facts then you are in for one rough pregnancy...what's next, not lifting your arms above your head or being on your feet at all? On the plus side, your husband seems really sweet and wants to take care of you and baby, however misguided he may be!

Comments

this is nothing. its been since February and I havent made love to my girlfriend. she has placenta previa. 2 more months to go.

Just tell him if you have sex more than 8 times in the first trimester you can get your own reality show and a bunch of money like Octomom.

Just to make sure... You do know that isn't how multiple-fetus pregnancies work, right?

#40: There has to be more than one ovum first.... <smh>

I'm referring to the fact that it's highly unusual for the body to ovulate when pregnant- and even if they did, the chances of getting pregnant from 8 separate ovulation in a single month is extremely, extremely unlikely. Add in that there's a barrier of mucus that forms during pregnancy that prevents the vast majority of additional sperm from event entering the uterus, and the very vast majority of "multiple" pregnancies will occur from either a single sexual act, or at most from multiple acts of intercourse close together. VERY close together.

I'm quite aware there would need to be multiple eggs, as well, for a second, later fetus to even be a possibility. Hence me pointing out that that ISN'T how multiple fetus pregnancies work. More sex doesn't equal more baby. As someone with a nurse for a mother, I'm quite aware of how pregnancy works, thanks. I'm not so certain that you know how reading comprehension works.

#42 one ovum can produce twins or even quadruplets which would be identical but it is very very rare to produce anything other than the sins in this case but I see where you are going with that.

wait...is octomom based on 8 different fertilized eggs in one pregnancy?

Fishinpink. She was artificially inseminated, and chose to keep all of them "that took", against her doctors suggestions.

bearsmomma- ooohhhh ok I'm with it now lol sometimes I feel like I've been hiding under a rock my whole life smh

menja 29

There actually the tiny, tiny chance that your body hasn't quite registered that you're already pregnant and sent out another egg to be fertilized... But otherwise I can't see why you shouldn't have sex.

middlenamefrank 8

I've read that sex during pregnancy is a good, safe form of exercise, helps keep hormone levels balanced, is absolutely harmless and (as always) is just plain fun! What's to "just be safe" about?

I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I can tell you though, as a guy, if I heard a doctor say this, I'd probably heed his warning just to be safe

I would like to know how many people commenting have an M.D. after thier name. And how many specialize in OBGYN. seriously all these people saying the doctor doesnt know what they are doing are baseing thier "wisdom" on a google search on wikipedia for a person whose "complete" medical history is contained in 4 line a rant posted online. As a medical professional people like you piss me off.

Why listen to your doctor, when you can get medical advice from strangers on the internet? Better yet, strangers who have no idea if there might be more to this story, such as a previous history of miscarriages or other medical issues. .

Right....except OP stated her doctor has no reason (evidence) to give as to WHY he suggested she abstain.

Most people are calling the doctor out for lack of clarification and vagueness, and suggesting a second opinion. Which, as a medical professional, you should know that patients are entitled to the information behind a suggested course of action, and that not giving or having information to support a course of action in regards to the health of a patient isn't exactly the height of professionalism. It is also a warning sign for either lack of investment in a patient's care, or that the medical professional in question is lacking information and possibly refusing to pursue the information needed.

i agree but there are people whos reasoning for a new doctor is "I read on the internet"

Yes, because the Internet can present people with more information than any single doctor could possibly know. If someone reads about something, and has reason to feel it needs to be considered but they're doctor is either unwilling to even consider the option or lacks the resources to make a statement that isn't blind assumption, someone SHOULD get another opinion. Getting accurate information about a condition, determining whether or not a person has it through testing is, and presenting the patient with BOTH sets of information and a treatment plan is a doctor's job. If a doctor can't or won't do such a thing "just because" a patient read about the condition on the Internet and refuses to even consider it, then the patient has every right to seek a second opinion.

I bet your doc also tells women they can't get pregnant while breastfeeding too. What outdated material is he reading from?

Congratulations! Pregnancy is amazing. Your doctor, on the other hand, sounds full of crap. Midwives told me that it was fine to have sex during pregnancy - the baby is kinda tucked up at the back. Get a new dr and check this with a midwife because they're much more reliable and informed! Best of luck to you both xx

Midwives are more informed? Than an MD? OP's doc is a quack, but Id take a doctor over a midwife, any day. If something goes south during delivery, I want someone there with the education, experience, and skill to handle it.

unless you're having an extremely coplicated pregnancy them there's nothing wrong with it, I would go to a different docter, it sounds like he's either just dumb or withholding information about your condition from you