By 2.5-long-months - 28/07/2016 13:49 - Canada - Edmonton

Spicy
Today, my husband and I had our first prenatal appointment. My doctor told us we shouldn't have sex during the first trimester, "just to be safe". He has no evidence to back this, but now my husband is too scared to touch me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 330
You deserved it 1 635

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Uuuh, what evidence would you require, OP? It just seems to be common sense that sperm in your husband's urethra will get jealous and try to pull the newly formed zygote out. Honestly, people these days…

usnwife 18

Unless you have some issue that puts you at risk, that's total crap and I would be finding a new OB asap! If your dr doesnt base anything on facts then you are in for one rough pregnancy...what's next, not lifting your arms above your head or being on your feet at all? On the plus side, your husband seems really sweet and wants to take care of you and baby, however misguided he may be!

Comments

don't do it! if your baby turns out to be a girl it will get pregnant too. and if you keep doing it the babys baby will get pregnant and that babys baby will get pregnant and on and on. no sex till you find out if it's a boy first. it's just common sense.

I can't understand how some ppl thought this wasn't a joke. Wasn't sex ed mandatory ?

Find a new doctor because that one is a quack! I'm in the 3rd trimester of my 3rd pregnancy and in the last 8 years I've never been told anything other than "There is no need to abstain from intercourse during any portion of pregnancy." Barring special circumstances, like a high risk pregnancy or complications.

There is a whole list of reason for SOME women not to have sex or orgasam's, particularly during the first trimester, but it's crazy if the Dr doesn't give you a reason. What could be bad is if you don't have sex now, having sex later on could cause you to go into premature labor due to the natural prostaglandins in sperm. If women haven't had regular sex through out the pregnancy, they can be more sensitive to the prostaglandins. You would not believe the amount of women who would come into labour ward having contractions and say something like 'it was the first time I felt like having sex the whole pregnancy'. Some Dr's (male and female) just assume that women aren't interested in sex, and will say stuff to give them an 'out'. Pregnancy will make some women very tired, some women feel super sexy. I've had women who were eager to have sex again right after giving birth, and wanted to know if they can have sex straight away. OP, I would ask the Dr for a firm reason as to why you shouldn't have sex.

kitsuneluvuh 12

Y'all need to be finding a new doctor.

The only person I know who was told not to, only in a certain time in the beginning, was because she'd had a miscarriage before I believe. While your husband shouldn't take it to that extent, though I understand it'd be worrying, is there any reason for you being advised that you might have left out? Either way, I don't see checking with another doctor to be a bad thing.

First off get a new dr. Preferably one that's not a moron, and second, once the morning sickness kicks in you probably won't want to have sex anyways.

Only 70% of women have morning sickness at all, so you're a bit presumptuous to say, "when it kicks in..." No biggie, but a basic FYI. My mom never had it for any of her three kids.

Go for a different doctor, this one sounds like he don't know anything.

I would listen to your doctor. There may be something wrong. Sex isn't worth it.

Any doctor worth a shit will tell a patient WHY they shouldn't do something. Especially if they actually expect the patient to listen- little makes people more contrary than being told not to do something, without being given a reason why.

A doctor will recommend that if you have ever had a miscarriage, taken a really long time to get pregnant, have one or more risk factors, are older, etc. It's not the end of the world and depending on your medical history, much safer for the baby.

i have had two miscarriages and my doctor never said anything about not having sex while I was pregnant with my son. she told me no heavy lifting and to not be on my feet more than so many hours in a day. but she said sex is healthy and that it was fine during pregnancy.

It took me over 5 years to get pregnant, and not one of the 3 Drs I saw for my pregnancy ever told me not to have sex because it took so long to conceive.

I've had multiple miscarriages and 2 high-risk full pregnancies and was told to go ahead. Even once when I was dropping hints for him to tell my husband we couldnt...lol. Also, I (besides a few weeks near the end, when I tried getting out of sex as mentioned above) and many women are crazy horny from those pregnancy hormones!

corky1992 33

I think you need a new doctor